Los Angeles, CA /
M13 – Finance /
Founded in 2016 with offices in Los Angeles (HQ) and New York, M13 is a consumer technology venture capital firm that invests in the brightest founders building the future of consumer behavior in work, commerce, health, and money. M13’s Propulsion Platform is powered by three operating team members for every investing team member- our founders get access to deep operational expertise, tech tools, and a community that helps them build faster and better.
Messier 13 (or M13) is one of the brightest star clusters in the Northern sky. It’s full of remarkable individual stars, and when they come together, they create something greater than the sum of its parts. All of us at M13 contribute to our success by being brighter together.
M13 seeks to bring on a VP of Finance who will be responsible for building and maintaining M13's financial operations and technical stack, overseeing financial reporting and projections, and providing guidance on strategic planning and risk management to the firm.
Overall, the VP of Finance will ensure that M13's investors and executive team have access to the insight and analysis they need to assess the firm’s position and make high-quality investing decisions.
What you’ll be doing:
- Own and manage the FP&A and budgeting function of the firm
- Oversee fund models and portfolio trackers, and dashboards for funds
- Budgeting, planning, advising M13 Portfolio companies
- Assess M13’s financial tech stack and lead projects to upgrade
- Support portfolio company M&A, and LP fundraising efforts
- Performance measurement and cap table management across our portfolio
What you bring to the role:
- 10-15 years of experience as a finance leader in private equity, fund audit, or fund administrator, preferably with large institutional LPs, family offices or HNW investors
- MBA, CPA, or similar advanced degree
- Experience working with early-stage startups, preferably in the technology or consumer sectors
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with outsourced service providers, both internally and externally
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills, with the ability to advise senior fund leadership on financial and business objectives
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence and build consensus across multiple stakeholders
What’s in it for you:
- One Team, One Dream: A chance to work alongside world-class VC talent in a collaborative and developmentally-focused culture that is respectful, inclusive, diverse, and inspiring. You’ll do your life's best work here and have fun doing it!
- Investment in Your Future: Employees are also eligible for an Employee Profit Sharing Program and 401(k) Retirement Plan with matching for all employees.
- Comprehensive Health Package: Medical, dental, and vision plans that are thoughtful and supportive of the needs of each M13 employee
- Open PTO Policy: We're focused on healthy work-life balance and therefore set no firm guidelines regarding how much time off each employee is permitted to take
$215,000 - $235,000 a year
Actual compensation within this range will depend upon the candidate's skills, experience, qualifications, and level of impact in the role.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend only to apply when they check every box. So if you have what it takes but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to chat and learn more about what you want to do next in your career.
M13 provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We deeply understand the value of bringing together a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.