MBA Investment Associate Intern
Los Angeles / Remote /
M13 – Investing /
M13 is a consumer technology venture capital firm that invests in the brightest founders building the future of consumer behavior in work, commerce, health, and money. M13’s Propulsion Platform is powered by one operating partner for every investing partner: our founders get access to deep operational expertise, tech tools, and a community that helps them build faster and better.
Messier 13 (or M13) is one of the brightest star clusters in the Northern sky. It’s full of remarkable individual stars, and when those stars come together, they create something truly greater than the sum of its parts. All of us at M13 contribute to our collective success by being brighter together.
We are seeking an MBA Investment Associate Internto join the M13 Investment Team.
The investment team is responsible for making M13’s venture investments, currently deploying out of our $400M Fund III. The fund’s focus is in early-stage consumer technology—specifically in the future of commerce, health, money and work, including a focus on how web3 is powering these sectors. We invest at the Seed, Series A, and Series B stages.
We are looking for first year MBA students who are excited about consumer technology and possess the energy, creativity and drive to help us create a world-class venture portfolio.
This is a strong opportunity to contribute to one of LA’s largest and fastest-growing early-stage venture funds. The MBA Investment Associate will receive exposure to all aspects of venture capital and the consumer technology industry, providing support in the deal investment process, aiding in investment thesis research, and contributing to the firm’s branding and content strategy.
This internship will run from June 20th to August 12th, 2022. It will be based out of LA.
What you'll be doing:
- Assisting in the sourcing, evaluation, structuring, and execution of investment opportunities
- Identifying creative and structured methods to uncover insights that will drive and develop investment theses
- Overseeing portfolio tracking and periodic reporting to general partners, limited partners, and external parties
- Identifying emerging trends and business KPIs and report to the team on a regular basis
- Creating compelling, detailed investment recommendation decks for presentation to the partnership
- Assisting with all other ad-hoc requests including internal presentations, data entry and market research
What you bring to the role:
- You are a 1st-year MBA candidate in a top-tier program
- You are excited about the world of venture and startups and have a proactive, team-oriented mentality
- You have prior professional experience at an investment bank, consulting firm, technology company, eCommerce company, start-up company, or venture firm
- You are deeply passionate about consumer technology and entrepreneurship, with an empathy for the founder journey
- You are analytical in your approach - you can navigate financial models and large data sets to distill the key points and tell a story
- You have personal integrity, initiative, strong communication skills, and the ability to work as an effective part of a team
- The intern program will run from Monday, June 12 to August 18 (10 weeks total), with strong preference for candidates who are able to work from our LA Office.
What’s in it for you:
- One Team, One Dream: A chance to work alongside world-class VC talent in a collaborative and developmentally-focused culture that is respectful, inclusive, diverse, and inspiring. You’ll do the best work of your life here and have fun doing it.
- Investment in Your Future: The base salary range for this position is $2,150/week.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
M13 provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We deeply understand the value of bringing together a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.