Network and Community Manager
Los Angeles, CA
M13 – Propulsion /
Founded in 2016 with offices in Los Angeles (HQ) and New York, M13 is a consumer technology venture capital firm that invests in the brightest founders building the future of consumer behavior in work, commerce, health, and money. M13’s Propulsion Platform is powered by three operating team members for every investing team member- our founders get access to deep operational expertise, tech tools, and a community that helps them build faster and better.
Messier 13 (or M13) is one of the brightest star clusters in the Northern sky. It’s full of remarkable individual stars, and when those stars come together, they create something truly greater than the sum of its parts. All of us at M13 contribute to our collective success by being brighter together.
Community is one of the four pillars of M13’s values and is the core of everything we do to create an ecosystem of #BrighterTogether. We believe authentically valuable connections among founding teams and investors will foster portfolio engagement, quality deal flow, and other active contributions to the M13 community.
To help build and engage M13’s ecosystem, we are excited to hire a Network + Community Manager who will create and nurture critical connections across founders and leaders inside and outside of M13’s portfolio and build an active and meaningful M13 constellation to support our investing, platform, studio, and talent needs.
We prefer to hire someone based in LA for this position - That being said, we are entirely in support of hiring someone based in NYC.
Our LA office is in Santa Monica, CA, and our NYC office is in the heart of Soho.
Who you are:
- 7 + years of experience with a track record of success in community strategy and management, business operations, and marketing (ideally in an investing, tech, or startup environment)
- You are an outgoing, engaging communicator who can effectively make deep and long-lasting connections among our portfolio founding leaders' teams and our broader network of founders, experts, and co-investors.
- You can help us fully understand their needs, provide value across the M13 community, and foster excitement to participate even more meaningfully.
- You enjoy building repeatable and scalable systems and processes yet recognize that human connection is the heart of effective communities.
- You are an agile, responsive, and adaptable teammate.
- You place high importance on transparency and internal communications, share progress in a highly dynamic environment, and can efficiently juggle competing deadlines while remaining self-sufficient and attentive to detail and accuracy.
- You are willing to roll up your sleeves with collaborative helpfulness - and like to have fun and enjoy working with people in real life.
- You love spending time with people and building community and meaningful connections that have a lasting and long-term impact.
What you’ll be doing (alongside our team):
- Represent and evangelize the M13 brand and Propulsion (platform) across the founder ecosystem to drive engagement and adoption across our broader community.
- Establish direct relationships with our Portfolio founders and their teams and build a deep understanding of their businesses and general needs to give them the relevant advice and support they need that’s impactful
- As the primary community point of contact for founder and portfolio team communications, you will manage online community channels and educate and communicate to the broader portfolio founder programs that go beyond capital
- Develop a plan to leverage M13’s community to positively impact the portfolio of founders, helping execute a broader strategy of portfolio-supporting programming through community efforts.
- Establish direct relationships with M13’s broader expert, co-investor, and influencer network to engage them within our community.
- Drive engagement and develop community across the portfolio founders through our Slack and other communication channels.
- Collaborate with our Events function to create an engagement strategy for forums, webinars, and other activities to build relationships.
- Collaborate with our Platform and Studio teams (Propulsion and Launchpad) to identify opportunities and leverage our broader network to mentor and advise our portfolio founders and bring key talent into our community.
- Collaborate with our Brand and Propulsion teams on creating events that support the portfolio, build an ecosystem of programs that best reflect the M13 brand differentiation and standards
- Collaborate with the Investing team in their due diligence by providing acquired market insights, identifying sources of knowledge within the community, and leveraging relationships for industry expertise.
- Ideate, create, and execute new programming ideas that support the broader tech ecosystem and build stronger relationships and connections
What’s in it for you:
- One Team, One Dream: A chance to work alongside world-class VC talent in a collaborative and developmentally-focused culture that is respectful, inclusive, diverse, and inspiring. You’ll do the best work of your life here and have fun doing it.
- Investment in Your Future: Employees are also eligible for an Employee Profit Sharing Program and 401(k) Retirement Plan with matching for all employees.
- Comprehensive Health Package: Medical, dental, and vision plans that are thoughtful and supportive of the needs of each M13 employee
- Open PTO Policy: We're focused on healthy work-life balance and therefore set no firm guidelines regarding how much time off each employee is permitted to take
$115,000 - $145,000 a year
Actual compensation within this range will depend upon the candidate's skills, experience, qualifications, and level of impact in the role.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend only to apply when they check every box. So if you have what it takes but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to chat and learn more about what you want to do next in your career.
M13 provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. We deeply understand the value of bringing together a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.