Principal Game Designer
Palo Alto, CA
Game Production – 01. Game Design
Build the future of mobile games with MZ!
As a global leader in mobile gaming, we’re dedicated to developing games the world can’t wait to experience. Games like Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire, Mobile Strike, and Game of War: Fire Age.
We build massive mobile games that break down linguistic and geographic barriers by uniting an unprecedented number of global players in one gaming world. Our team pushes the boundaries of innovation in a player-driven ecosystem.
As a studio, we are masters of our own destiny, untethered by the traditional publisher model. Every update and feature creates amazing experiences for millions of players!
MZ Game Studio is seeking a Principal Game Designer to join our Design team to focus on the continued development of our live game portfolio. Our Lead Game Designer will take ownership of feature direction and monetization strategies for hyper successful titles such as Game of War: Fire Age, Mobile Strike and Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire and contribute towards new project development.
As a key leader of the Game Design team at MZ, you will you will collaborate directly with our Live Operations, Engineering, and Art teams. You should be experienced in leading live mobile F2P game design based on virtual-goods, deep economy design infrastructure along with strong monetization intuition and KPI understanding. You must be a sharp, disciplined, and highly analytical individual who has a passion for mobile gaming and leveraging data to inform the design and balancing of new game features that will drive engagement, retention and monetization.
As a Principal Game Designer, you will be responsible for designing live ecosystems built to house millions of users, capture their behavior and feedback then optimize your strategy to deliver against MZ’s company goals.
What you'll be doing:
- Create and rapidly iterate content and features for released live games and unreleased titles in development
- Solve game design problems that are worth solving; synthesize Game Mechanics, Theme, Monetization Strategies, and Social Features into an integrated product
- Foster creative and scalable design solutions, improving the quality of the product and efficiency of the team
- Work collaboratively with Executive Producers, Design Leads, Designers, Project Managers, Analysts, and cross-functional teams to facilitate well planned and executed features
- Be a constant student of evolving game dynamics, emerging player behavior and trends, and champion these insights to improve effectiveness of design efforts
Your background and who you are:
- 8+ years of Game Design experience in mobile and free-to-play games
- Bachelor's in Computer Science or Game Design or related fields
- Passion about playing and designing mobile free-to-play games
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to organized game design workflow from initial concept to final release and post-release support
- Must be proficient in Excel, Formulas, and able to provide visual designs with mock-ups in an art program of your choice (i.e. Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketchup, etc.)
- An ability to embrace an environment that iterates constantly - where good ideas triumph quickly
- Strong exposure and confidence in identifying and analyzing KPIs then providing action items
- Experience with live game events/sales design and content calendar planning
- Strong analytical abilities and able to synthesize game systems and mechanics to improve game features and systems
- Experience with multiple aspects of game design discipline: concept, game progression, combat, interface, monetization, and retention
- Pride in creating a high-quality, addictive online and social game feature-sets
- Mobile F2P/MMO experience with games based on a virtual-goods economies/business models and ability to analyze game mechanics and systems
- Experience leading teams and projects
- Experienced as Product Manager/Owner or Producer/Executive Producer of mobile F2P title
- Reached End Game in one of MZ’s games or similar games
- Experience in a programming / scripting language / Excel tooling
- Can easily identify and explain any top game's strengths and weaknesses (feel free to include in application)
- Can identify largest, positive trends in F2P games along with recent increasing systems (feel free to include in application)
MZ is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, medical condition, religion, marital status or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.