FIRST A BIT ABOUT US
We are a startup studio located in Seattle with funding from Madrona Venture Group, other VCs, and top Seattle and Bay Area entrepreneurs and investors. We work with entrepreneurs to identify ideas for industry- and world-changing companies and then apply a rigorous validation process to build only the very best ones. Because of our investment in vetting startup ideas, we know that when we move forward with a company it has an extraordinary chance to be an outsize success.
The Madrona Venture Labs Analyst Position is an opportunity to get a front-row seat to the world of startup ideation and creation. You’ll be researching markets and opportunities to explore, pitch, and evaluate. Working with our Partners and Managing Directors, you’ll also be key in the validation of ideas and predicting the next pivot for our ventures.
- Develop in-depth sector analyses in a variety of fields, including current industry trends, developments and market players; help find the best verticals for business opportunities
- Analyze start-ups and validate in-house business ideas with market research, voice of customer research, financial modeling, and develop validation plans for spinout teams
- Work with spinout teams to assist in iterating on product and design concepts through product-market fit
KEYS TO SUCCESS IN THIS ROLE
- Be able to find truth in data – crunch numbers and use statistics to inform business and investment decisions with objectivity.
- Research the right questions – find clean data where others might not think to look
- Communicate both in person and on the page with team members, industry experts, customers and venture capitalists
- Organization and ability to multi-task—stay organized when you have several people handing you projects with different priorities
- Willingness to learn on the fly and dive in—must be eager to roll up your sleeves on a small team, because sometimes doing customer interviews can’t wait
- Self-motivated and determined: the startup world can be tough; you’ll need to have grit to keep on keepin’ on
- Business/Finance education and 5+ years of relevant experience
- Complete fluency in Excel and/or SQL, plus PowerPoint and/or Google Slides. Visualization software is also nice to have.
- Financial modeling and investment valuation experience is a must
- Pitchbook and/or Crunchbase database experience a plus
- Entrepreneur early stage startup experience a plus
- Programming/Development experience a plus
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY IS WHERE IT'S AT
One more important note from our end: we recognize the dire lack of diversity in our industry, and we're not standing by. We actively seek to address it with our hiring and retention processes, as well as our office culture. We try to have every team that spins out of MVL be diverse. Why? Well, partly because a diverse team has a better likelihood of success...but mostly, because it's the right thing to do. So to put it more formally, we’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for all positions will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. Because that's how everyone should roll.