Founder in Residence
Ready to work on a big idea with the support and backing of Madrona Venture Labs?
The Founder-in-Residence (FIR) opportunity with our team at Madrona Venture Labs (MVL) is a 3-12 month opportunity designed to match successful entrepreneurs with business ideas that we believe have the potential to be industry changing, $1B+ opportunities or dig into potential areas/markets to investigate ideas.
We have two ways we support our FIR opportunity at MVL:
The first is joining us as a domain expert to investigate a thematic area of interest for MVL. At any given time, we have several different themes or market trends we’re interested in investing in--both with team support and financial backing. You’d lead the effort to research the market, develop a thesis on the area(s) of opportunity and narrow in on a fundable/big idea. As either the CEO or a member of the co-founding team, you’d then fundraise and build your startup team.
The other way we work with FIR’s is the opportunity to join MVL to lead an already-vetted idea. You’ll take over leading the effort and work with the support of a small team from the Lab (that could consist of a mix of engineering, design and business support). We’ll help provide the power to build and test the idea and we’ll support with a path to seed funding.
All FIR’s are a little different but to be successful in this role, you’re likely an all-around athlete who can add value in a variety of ways. Generally, the attributes and skills that are are important to us include:
- An intense curiosity to problem solve in an environment of uncertainty
- A test-and-learn mindset as the idea continues to evolve
- Extensive experience leading teams, working in a startup or mentoring startups
- Deep domain expertise in a thematic area of focus for MVL. Examples include: machine learning, artificial intelligence, commerce, travel, marketing, and fintech
- Experience and excitement about raising funding and familiarity working with VC’s
- Experience leading a startup or leadership experience (with P&L responsibility) at a Fortune 100 company
- Familiarity with forecasting/business models
- Excitement to build/support a diverse and talented team