Founder in Residence, CTO
MVL Core /
Ready to work on a big idea with the support and backing of Madrona Venture Labs?
The Founder-in-Residence, CTO opportunity with our team at Madrona Venture Labs (MVL) is a 3-12 month opportunity designed to match successful entrepreneurs with business ideas that we believe have the potential to be industry changing, $1B+ opportunities or dig into potential areas/markets to investigate ideas.
At any given time, we have several different themes or market trends we’re interested in investing in--both with team support and financial backing. You help research the market, develop a thesis on the area(s) of opportunity and narrow in on a fundable/big idea. As the CTO, you’d then build the product and your startup team.
Please check out our Stories to learn more about the types of companies we build.
Some of your most differentiated characteristics are:
- Strategic Vision: You can see the big, risky opportunity, but can focus on what’s most important to success, making the necessary trade offs that propel forward momentum and achievement of goals .
- Drive: You put yourself on the line with your team as you drive forward with relentless energy, creative problem solving, and resilience in the face of obstacles.
- Customer Focused: You focus maniacally on a target customer, constantly iterating and responding to feedback and thinking ahead to serve customers in ways they haven’t thought to ask.
- Integrity: You consistently act with a strong set of human values that earns trust from those around you, maintaining the highest standards for treating everyone with respect and dignity.
- Learning: You are intensely curious, seeking and incorporating new information to better inform your strategic vision and decisions, recognizing mistakes, always remaining open to the best new ideas, and adjusting quickly.
- Leadership: You know how to select and lead people to create a world-class team and inspire and lead them to success.
OUTSTANDING CANDIDATES WILL HAVE
- Mastery of building complex products and systems at enterprise scale.
- Expert-level technical capability across modern domains of machine learning, cloud, server, and data.
- Outstanding selector and leader of talent, able to build an extraordinary team.
- Able to roll-up your sleeves when appropriate to select technologies or create new designs and prototypes or write production code.
- Leadership experience within a startup (preferred) or in a fast-moving, innovative environment within a larger company.
- Deep product development experience, working cross-functionally to define, build, tune, and bring to market enterprise applications and services.
- Strong credentials, technical vision, and presentation skills that will earn the excitement of investors and prospective team members to want to follow you to build an incredible company
- Excitement to build/support a diverse and talented team.