Product Design Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Magenta Labs is an early stage technology startup developing a groundbreaking product in the consumer video market. Our current team hails from Instagram, Facebook, Square, Blizzard and Apple. We're seeking an experienced Product Design Engineer to join our small and fast-paced product design team.
This role spans the end-to-end development of our new video hardware & accessories, from early concept design to mass production & post-ramp support. If you are interested in joining a small team of talented people who are passionate about solving challenges to improve photography and videography, we look forward to hearing from you soon!
What you'll work on:
- Mechanical design of cosmetic enclosure parts & mechanical sub-systems
- Oversee integration of functional sub-components, including optics, acoustics, displays, haptics, batteries, and connectors.
- Delegate to engineers at overseas vendors and manage them to meet build schedules.
- Drive design validation efforts, including reliability, thermal, and other functional testing.
- Drive continuous quality, cost, & cosmetic improvements at overseas vendors
- Support ramp & post-ramp quality improvements.
- Research new technologies & materials for integration in future products.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, often with limited oversight or feature definition.
Who we're looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical field. (e.g. Product Design)
- 3+ years of engineering work experience
- Strong understanding of Mech. Eng fundamentals, including thermals and materials.
- Experience bringing at least one part from early design to shipping at mass-produced volumes.
- Proficiency in 3D CAD modeling
- Demonstrated ability to meet aggressive project schedules
- Hands-on experience with machine-shop tools.
- Master’s Degree in Mech. Eng. or Mechatronics
- Electrical design experience including design and bring-up of simple PCBA
- Understanding of optics fundamentals & optical design practices.
- FW design experience of simple mechatronic systems.
- Familiarity with FEA simulation principles, both structural and thermal.
- Familiarity with UG NX
- Strong sense of craftsmanship & an eye for cosmetic quality.
Why you want to join us:
- Tight knit team with alums from Instagram, Facebook, Square, Blizzard and Apple
- Solve challenging problems
- Medical and Dental insurance
- Equity in an early stage startup
- Funding support from well respected VCs
- Regular team lunches and offsites
- Kitchen stocked to satisfy your munchies
- Easy access to Caltrain, Muni, and BART
- And the best coffee, no really