Principal Product Designer
San Francisco /
Join us to build and safely deploy aligned, superhuman AI. For decades, technology was "just a tool" - could it be a colleague?
We are building an AI pair programmer that feels like a full colleague inside your computer - capable, conversational, and reliable across domains. If this isn't AGI, then what is? Join us if you want to build and safely deploy aligned AGI in products that matter.
As a Principal Product Designer, you will talk to users, develop user experience strategy and design, and take ownership of everything that takes a product from good to "can't imagine it any other way".
Things that might make you a good fit
- Familiar with dev tools: our users are software engineers, so it helps if you have been (or are) a software engineer, or have designed dev tools before
- Full cycle designer: you have owned everything UI/UX and product at a startup
- Very hands-on you are a principal level thinker, but are still blurringly fast with Figma
- Comfortable with complexity: you handle highly complex and technical products with relative ease
- High-energy: you love what you do
- Ambition: you want to make something great
- Creative: you have many ideas and you love bringing them up
- Attention to detail: you noticed that we forgot the ":" after "Very hands-on", and it bothered you.
- Integrity. Words and actions should be aligned.
- Hands-on. Most of us have previously led engineering teams. At Magic, there are no managers. We all spend the vast majority of our time on engineering. If you want to solve hard problems, Magic is the right place for you.
- Teamwork. We move as one team, not as N individuals.
- Focus. Ethically deploy AGI. Everything else is noise.
- Quality. We have high standards for ourselves and our products. Magic should feel like magic.
Benefits and perks
- Benchmark-based compensation in the 75th or 90th percentile, including base salary, generous equity, and benefits
- 401K with 6% match
- Flexible working hours
- In-person (SF or Vienna) or remote
- A small, fast-paced, highly focused team
Magic is a public benefit corporation dedicated to building and safely deploying aligned, superhuman AGI.
What's your motivation?
Automation has led humanity from subsistence farming to becoming a globally connected society. AGI is the ultimate chapter of the story of human tool-building, presenting the potential to decouple productivity and ingenuity from human labor. What if the last 50 years of technological progress happened in 2 days? We want to make this a possibility.
We've raised $28M from tier 1 investors.
How do we balance deploying the technology today with ambitions for AGI?
We think deploying AI within the right interfaces is just as important as the technology itself. Building an AI pair programmer helps us do both at the same time. We aim to launch gradually improving AI assistants while pursuing work on what will ultimately become AGI.
Do you train your own models?
Do you care about the product?
It's funny that this is an FAQ, but many AI companies neglect UX and focus only on their model. Yes, we care.
Can I work from anywhere?
We welcome applications from anyone around the world. We'll look at visa requirements case by case.
I don't meet all the criteria, should I still apply?
If you feel you have something to contribute to the mission and you're a high-energy person, absolutely. We make exceptions for exceptional people. In all hires, we are looking for either 1) difference makers on world class teams or 2) individuals who would become this very quickly if placed on such a team tomorrow.