Senior Software Engineer - Compute Infrastructure
San Francisco / Vienna
Join us to build and safely deploy aligned, superhuman AI. We are building an AI pair programmer that feels like a full colleague inside your computer - capable, conversational, and reliable across domains.
As a Software Engineer working on our large-scale training and inference infrastructure, you will architect and build resilient solutions for AI workloads on large GPU clusters. If you love scaling things, enjoy getting the most out of compute infra and maximizing reliability, this role is for you.
- Lead and participate in projects to build massive scale, highly available and secure training, production and development infrastructure.
- Ensure highly available GPU workloads for training and production inference purposes
- Respond to and investigate incidents across security and availability
- Platform Engineering to enable our engineers to be super fast
- Come up with and propose ways of accelerating the team
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues across GPU resources, networking, OS, drivers and cloud environments, automate detection and recovery of such issues
- Very strong linux knowledge in the k8s VM and bare metal context, including bash scripting and troubleshooting
- Strong hardware knowledge around server hardware, networking hardware and GPUs
- Strong IaC knowledge with extensive experience in Terraform or Pulumi
- Extensive experience with either AWS and GCP, ideally with both
- Very strong coding skills
- Very strong knowledge of hardening cloud native and especially k8s workloads
- Integrity. Words and actions should be aligned.
- Hands-on. Most of us have previously led engineering teams. At Magic, there are no managers. We all spend the vast majority of our time on engineering. If you want to solve hard problems, Magic is the right place for you.
- Teamwork. We move as one team, not N individuals.
- Focus. Ethically deploy AGI. Everything else is noise.
- Quality. We have high standards for ourselves and our products. Magic should feel like magic.
Benefits and perks
- Benchmark-based compensation in the 75th or 90th percentile, including base salary, generous equity, and benefits
- 401K with 6% match
- Flexible working hours
- In-person (SF or Vienna) or remote
- A small, fast-paced, highly focused team
Magic is a public benefit corporation dedicated to building and safely deploying aligned, superhuman AGI.
What's your motivation?
Automation has led humanity from subsistence farming to becoming a globally connected society. AGI is the ultimate chapter of the story of human tool-building, presenting the potential to decouple productivity and ingenuity from human labor. What if the last 50 years of technological progress happened in 2 days? We want to make this a possibility.
We've recently raised $28M.
How do we balance deploying the technology today with ambitions for AGI?
We think deploying AI within the right interfaces is just as important as the technology itself. Building an AI pair programmer helps us do both at the same time. We aim to launch gradually improving AI assistants while pursuing work on what will ultimately become AGI.
Do you train your own models?
Do you care about the product?
It's funny that this is an FAQ, but many AI companies neglect UX and focus only on their model. Yes, we care.
Can I work from anywhere?
We welcome applications from anyone around the world. We'll look at visa requirements case by case.
I don't meet all the criteria, should I still apply?
If you feel you have something to contribute to the mission and you're a high-energy person, absolutely. We make exceptions for exceptional people. In all hires, we are looking for either 1) difference makers on world class teams or 2) individuals who would become this very quickly if placed on such a team tomorrow.