Technical Manager - Licensing
Halifax, Nova Scotia /
Research and Development – Engineering /
Who We Are, What We Do, Where We Are Going
Magnet Forensics is a global leader in the development of digital investigative software that acquires, analyzes and shares evidence from computers, smartphones, tablets and other IoT related devices. We are continually innovating so that our customers can deploy advanced and effective tools to protect their communities, countries and companies.
Headquartered out of Waterloo, ON but with over 400 employees spread out globally, Magnet is continuing to expand and grow. Where we are today, is not where we want to be tomorrow.
The Licensing team is a small but mighty group of people. We create the tools required to license Magnet products. We strive to create tools, libraries and services that are easy to use for Engineers and our Operations colleagues. We add capabilities that offer new and innovative ways for our customers to access Magnet software. Our domain has many interesting complexities and facets, which means we're always up for a challenge!
We are looking for a Technical Manager to lead this team, who will split their time between leadership and contributing technically to the team's work. At Magnet, Technical Managers and Engineering Managers (purely people focused), are peers to each other. The Technical Manager works closely with the team, a Product Management partner, internal business stakeholders, and other Engineering leaders.
We hope you'll find Magnet to be a community of smart, passionate, humble people who recognize that solving the industry's toughest problems requires constant collaboration, continuous learning, and frequent doses of humour.
What you will accomplish
- Ensure your team of developers and testers is working effectively to deliver quality software
- Contribute technically at a senior software developer level
- Provide coaching to employees to grow their careers, achieve their goals and maximize their potential
- Ensure customer success
- Collaborate with different teams or stakeholders, internally and externally
- Coordinate with other groups involved in product development
- Work with your Engineering leadership peers to continuously improve how Engineering works at Magnet
What we are looking for
- A short list of must-haves:
- 1+ year of management experience OR significant informal leadership experience
- Excellent aptitude for people leadership
- Experience leading technical execution of complex projects
- 5+ years of technical experience as a software developer or similar
- Strong judgement, prioritization, and decision-making abilities
- In addition, you may have some of the following skills and experiences:
- Confident with presentation skills and team communication
- Experience leading in an agile development environment
- Advanced experience with agile and team health monitoring metrics
- Comfort in cloud platforms such as AWS or Azure
- Partnership and collaboration skills to work across organizations
- Analytical skills to develop quick yet sound solutions to resolve complex issues
- Good conflict resolution and negotiating skills
- Demonstrated ability to have FUN at work!
The Most Important Thing
- We’re looking for candidates that can provide examples of how they have demonstrated Magnet InteGRITy in their previous experiences:
- Greater Good – We think beyond our own interests and strive to improve communities around the world. This demonstrates our passion for making a difference in the world.
- Respect – We hold ourselves accountable through transparent sharing of information and we have faith in each other’s abilities
- Innovation – We lead the industry in excellence and reliability while keeping the user experience simple and relevant. We are not afraid to push the boundaries to stay ahead of our competitors.
- Teamwork – We collaborate internally and externally, while caring about each other and listening to our customers.
We’re committed to continuous learning and are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. This commitment will be reflected in our hiring processes and embedded in our values and how we treat one another. If you’re interested in this role, but do not meet all of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply anyways.
Magnet Forensics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, provincial, or local law.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible recruitment process and work environment. Accommodation is available to all applicants upon request throughout the hiring process. If you require accommodation, please let our talent team know, or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.