Cloud Site Reliability Engineer
Waterloo / Ottawa / Ontario
Research and Development – Engineering /
Who We Are; What We Do; Where we’re Going
Magnet Forensics is a global leader in the development of digital investigative software that acquires, analyzes, and shares evidence from computers, smartphones, tablets and other IoT related devices. We are continually innovating so that our customers can deploy advanced and effective tools to protect their companies, communities, and countries.
Grayshift and Magnet Forensics have come together as one organization to accelerate innovation and transform digital investigations for our customers. We’re pleased to share that the combined organization is operating as Magnet Forensics.
The combination of mobile, cloud and computer forensics expertise under the Magnet Forensics name underscores our dedication to providing comprehensive, end-to-end DFIR solutions. This includes our commitment to helping with access to modern digital devices lawfully with our renowned product suite. And, our focus on innovating for the DFIR community, along with our shared mission, continues to be the top priority.
The Engineering team is focused on producing software that solves the most important problems facing digital forensics professionals today. Our algorithms make sense of data that is often hidden, corrupted, or incomplete. We write well-tested, performant code and build intuitive UIs because we know that minutes can make a difference in national terrorism cases and life-or-death situations.
We are a community of smart, passionate, humble people who recognize that solving the industry’s toughest problems requires constant collaboration, continuous learning, and frequent doses of humour – come prepared for emojis, GIFs, team jokes, and questionable Photoshop skills.
The Cloud Site Reliability Engineer will be an influential member of one of Magnet’s upcoming cloud- offering product teams. You will be a trailblazer in this space at Magnet, establishing DevOps patterns to be followed by current and future teams, and you will set the standard of excellence for how to operate and maintain SaaS products.
What You Will Accomplish
- Lead the design and implementation of your team’s cloud deployment strategy
- Create and maintain your team’s CI/CD pipeline, to ensure your team is highly confident in changes to production, and that deployments are frictionless, repeatable, and auditable
- Create and maintain monitoring/observability dashboards to help the team understand and debug production issues
- Assist your team with creating a scalable, fault-tolerant, highly available application, while keeping costs as low as possible
- Architect and shepherd performant, lean, thorough test suites, to make sure minimal issues escape to production
- Work with other Magnet teams to assert that your team’s application is highly secure, helping to fix critical vulnerabilities as they’re discovered
- Use your influence to provide thought leadership, support, and coaching within your immediate team and across Engineering
What We Are Looking For
- We’re looking for someone who checks off most, but not all, of the boxes listed in “skills and experiences”. It’s more important to us to find candidates who can display indicators of success through skills they have developed and experiences they have been a part of, than to find folks who have “been there, done that”. We want to be part of your development journey, and we’ll learn as much from you as you learn from us.
- There are a few must-haves, but we will keep that list short:
- Bachelor’s degree in a Computer Science related field, or equivalent practical experience
- Significant experience operating a production SaaS application running on one or more major cloud providers (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP). Certifications to back it up are a bonus!
- Significant experience implementing CI/CD pipelines for SaaS products
In addition, may have some of the following skills and experiences:
- Experience working with AWS services like ECS, EKS, DynamoDB, Cognito, SNS/SQS, ELB/ALB, OpenSearch
- Experience working with Azure DevOps and Jenkins, or similar tools, to implement CI/CD pipelines
- Experience troubleshooting and recovering from SaaS disaster scenarios (e.g. outages), while maintaining calmness under pressure and exhibiting excellent listening and communication skills
- Experience using Datadog, CloudWatch, or similar tools to troubleshoot production issues and create observability dashboards
- Experience writing and maintaining IaC (e.g. CDK, CloudFormation, Terraform) that provisions elastically scalable infrastructure
- Experience with performance and cost optimization of cloud infrastructure
- Experience implementing secure cloud solutions
- Experience writing and maintaining various types of system test suites (e.g. load tests, chaos tests)
- Proactivity around planning, organizing, and implementing large pieces of work efficiently
- Effectiveness at leadership, mentorship, and coaching – you encourage joint ownership of ops
The Most Important Thing
- We’re looking for candidates that can provide examples of how they have demonstrated Magnet InteGRITy in their previous experiences:
- Greater Good – We think beyond our own interests and strive to improve communities around the world. This demonstrates our passion for making a difference in the world.
- Respect – Wehold ourselves accountable through transparent sharing of information and we have faith in each other’s abilities
- Innovation – Welead the industry in excellence and reliability while keeping the user experience simple and relevant. We are not afraid to push the boundaries to stay ahead of our competitors.
- Teamwork – Wecollaborate internally and externally, while caring about each other and listening to our customers.
We’re committed to continuous learning and are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. This commitment will be reflected in our hiring processes and embedded in our values and how we treat one another. If you’re interested in this role, but do not meet all of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply anyways.
Magnet Forensics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, provincial, or local law.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible recruitment process and work environment. Accommodation is available to all applicants upon request throughout the hiring process. If you require accommodation, please let our talent team know, or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.