Regulatory and Compliance Counsel
Remote Position /
Every year, billions of dollars are set aside by your local, state, and federal representatives to make it easier for anybody to build a small business and turn their dream into reality.
But while governments might be great at governing, they’re terrible at marketing. These billions sit unclaimed, waiting for founders to discover them. We want to fix that, and we need your help.
MainStreet is looking to add a talented Regulatory and Compliance Counsel to help us create and scale innovative financial products and services that will help our customers thrive. Reporting to the General Counsel, you will have the opportunity to work on challenging issues of first impression, and actively shape the future of a FinTech company that promises to contribute to the success of startups and SMBs.
What you’ll do
- Advise across teams on federal and state financial services laws and regulations, covering everything from securities, cryptocurrencies, and tax, to payments and banking issues;
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations;
- Use your expertise in AML/KYC to help build a world-class compliance function;
- Commercial transactions (draft, negotiate, and structure deals and contracts in support of new products and partnerships as a subject matter expert); and
- Product counseling (work closely on new products that require creative legal guidance, and help balance risks and rewards).
What we’re looking for
- Subject matter expertise in regulatory and compliance matters in the financial services industry.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and communication skills. Sense of humor is a must.
- Sound judgment and strong negotiating skills.
- Ability to work well with a small, tightly-knit team, and the range to deal effectively with everyone.
- 8+ years relevant experience, split between a premier law firm and with a federal financial services regulatory agency, preferably in its division of enforcement. In house legal experience a plus.
- Leadership, a strong sense of project ownership and eye for detail, and ability to work independently. Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously with strong follow up.
- JD from a top law school.
- Active bar membership.
- Base salary range for this position is $150,000 - $225,000 and is based upon years of experience that is commensurate with the level of the position in addition to location
- Bonus that is commensurate with the level of the position
- Robust equity program with significant upside potential
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, 401k plus additional perks to make your work from home life better
What we do
We make these tax credits easy as butter. MainStreet pairs companies & employees with hundreds of local, state, and federal tax programs. Then we do all the paperwork to get companies what they’re owed in minutes, vs the dozens of hours it would otherwise take.
The average company gets $51,040… in the first year. In cash.
We just announced our $60M Series A, led by SignalFire. We’re backed by an incredible community of partners, operators, and founders, including Ryan Hoover (Product Hunt founder), Ashton Kutcher’s Sound Ventures, Des Traynor (Intercom cofounder), Gradient (a Google Venture Fund), Ron Conway’s fund SV Angel, and Tusk Ventures.
How we think about diversity
We try to make sure the diversity of our customers is reflected in the team that serves them. Because when we include people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and identities — we end up building a better experience for everyone who uses MainStreet.
We know we need to be intentional in our hiring practices in order to overcome systemic biases we may be blind to. So, if your lived experience has given you a unique perspective on business, startups, or any other aspect of our business – even if you don’t meet all the requirements – please still apply and let us know so we can make sure your application gets the attention it deserves.