Product Designer, Design System
Remote Position /
Every year, billions of dollars are set aside by your local, state, and federal representatives to make it easier for anybody to build a small business and turn their dream into reality.
But while governments might be great at governing, they’re terrible at marketing. These billions sit unclaimed, waiting for founders to discover them. We want to fix that, and we need your help.
MainStreet is looking for a Product Designer to help us design our core product and build the foundation for the design practice (including contributing to our design system). As one of the first hires on the design team, you’ll have a big opportunity to influence and shape our product, our design and research processes, and our team culture. You’ll report directly to our Head of Design.
What you'll do
- Partner with fellow designers and engineers to thoughtfully define and build our design system consistent with MainStreet branding
- Partner with the leadership team to define the strategy and roadmap for the design system
- Partner with PMs, Engineers, and other cross functional stakeholders to define and design our core product experience
- Mentor other designers on visual and interaction design principles and execution
What you're looking for
- 3–7 years of professional design experience at a tech company (more senior candidates strongly encouraged to apply)
- Experience working on design systems – bonus if you’ve built one from scratch
- Solid visual and interaction craft as demonstrated by your portfolio (please include a link in your application)
- Deep understanding of Figma’s features and capabilities
- Strong prototyping skills
- Ability to drive an end-to-end design process with little guidance or supervision
- Ability to explain your process and design decisions to cross-functional partners
- A willingness to learn on the job and take on tasks as needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and communicate over the phone and with video chat software, such as Zoom
What we do
At MainStreet, we’re building a platform that automatically qualifies companies for hundreds of local, state, and federal tax programs and wins them back what they’re owed in minutes, versus the dozens of hours it would otherwise take. The average company gets ~$51,000.
We’re backed by top-tier investors, including the founder of Product Hunt, Gradient, a Google Venture Fund, Shrug Capital, execs at Google and Facebook, and Ron Conway’s fund, SV Angel.
How we think about diversity
We try to make sure the diversity of our customers is reflected in the team that serves them. Because when we include people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and identities — we end up building a better experience for everyone who uses MainStreet.
We know we need to be intentional in our hiring practices in order to overcome systemic biases we may be blind to. So, if your lived experience has given you a unique perspective on business, startups, or any other aspect of our business – even if you don’t meet all the requirements – let us know, and we’ll make sure your application gets the attention it deserves.