Senior Backend Engineer
Remote Position /
Every year, billions of dollars are set aside by your local, state, and federal representatives to make it easier for anybody to build a small business and turn their dream into reality.
But while governments might be great at governing, they’re terrible at marketing. These billions sit unclaimed, waiting for founders to discover them. We want to fix that, and we need your help.
Senior Backend Responsibilities
- Develop and design resilient and idempotent recurring jobs, access controlled data storage, and monitoring
- Work closely with the product team to balance launch timelines and product perfection – we ship often so you won’t have to wait weeks to see your work in production
In your first month you will
- Have a one-on-one with every member of the company – we’re 22 right now
- Get a deep understanding of our currently supported incentive programs, how these programs function, and our roadmap
- Shadow a sales phone call to get an understanding of how our product is sold
- Own a feature from idea to live in production
- Make product and infrastructure improvement recommendations and take ownership of implementing high priority changes
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Designed, built, and maintained a production backend service
- Designed schemas for relational databases
- Has mentored junior developers and/or been a technical lead on a backend focused team
- Taken an idea and owned the design, implementation, and launch process
- A willingness to learn on the job and take on tasks as needed
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently and communicate over the phone and with video chat software, such as Zoom
- Ability to work with production systems, sensitive customer, and support issues
Nice to have
- Experience with the Google Cloud environment and Google Cloud configuration
- Implementation experience instrumenting / improving monitoring systems
- Familiarity with payments systems such as Stripe or Braintree
- Experience with Express, Go, Python, Typescript, and MySql
- Interest or history with application security and/or data security and access control
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive base salary
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Potential stock options based on experience
- Generous vacation policy, with additional PTO to volunteer & vote
What we do
At MainStreet, we’re building a platform that automatically qualifies companies for hundreds of local, state, and federal tax programs and wins them back what they’re owed in minutes, versus the dozens of hours it would otherwise take. The average company gets ~$51,000.
We’re backed by top-tier investors, including the founder of Product Hunt, Gradient, a Google Venture Fund, Shrug Capital, execs at Google and Facebook, and Ron Conway’s fund, SV Angel.
How we think about diversity
We try to make sure the diversity of our customers is reflected in the team that serves them. Because when we include people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and identities — we end up building a better experience for everyone who uses MainStreet.
We know we need to be intentional in our hiring practices in order to overcome systemic biases we may be blind to. So, if your lived experience has given you a unique perspective on business, startups, or any other aspect of our business – even if you don’t meet all the requirements – let us know, and we’ll make sure your application gets the attention it deserves.