Head of People, Culture, and DEI
San Francisco /
Executive Team /
Make School is building a new university in San Francisco.
We offer a Bachelor's in Applied Computer Science degree equipping graduates with the skills needed to succeed as software engineers at large tech companies and fast growing startups. Our average starting salary is on part with top CS universities in the country and 35% of our students are underrepresented students of color. Our alumni work at Facebook, Google, Apple, Snapchat, LinkedIn, Lyft and more. Our financial aid program protects students against unemployment and underemployment, ensuring student debt is held at affordable levels. Make School is funded by Learn Capital, Y Combinator, Kapor Capital, Alexis Ohanian, Tim Draper and others.
You can read a draft of our existing culture deck here:
We are looking to hire a Head of People, Culture, and JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion) to report to the CEO, manage an HR consultant, and oversee the following functions:
- Integrating a Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion lens into our operations (primarily with staff, but supporting with students)
- Learning and development (ensuring team members are constantly growing and learning)
- Culture and organizational design (creating an environment for effective work and strong interpersonal relationships)
- The employee lifecycle (recruiting, hiring, onboarding, performance reviews, and offboarding)
- Morale building (in a part remote, part onsite capacity)
- HR nitty gritties, compensation, benefits (supported by VP Finance and HR consultant)
The role will be remote until Summer 2021, after which it will be on-site in San Francisco.
We are looking for someone with the following (if you have most but not all of these, we still encourage you to apply):
- 6+ years work experience in tech or education
- Experience in a People Ops leadership role
- Significant experience with JEDI topics
- Experience building L&D programs or teaching with active learning principles
- Experience with performance management and firing
- Progressive organizational design philosophies
- Experience working alongside CEO/founders, finance, and corporate counsel
- Passion for education
This role will give you a unique opportunity to reinvent higher education by supporting a new college as it is being born and helping place Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at the core of its culture. You’ll have the opportunity to grow with the company, interface with our board, and expand our team.
You’ll be joining a team of people who are deeply passionate about our mission to make high quality higher education accessible to students of all socioeconomic backgrounds. This will be a chapter of your life you’ll always remember. We hope you join us!