Senior Platform Engineering Manager
Engineering – Platform Engineers /
Malt is the fastest-growing European marketplace connecting over 340 000 freelancers with more than 40 000 clients in search of talent to contribute to their projects. Our marketplace provides a simple and secure one-stop shop for all the administrative, legal, and payment processes involved in freelancing.
Founded in 2013 by serial entrepreneur Vincent Huguet and tech freelancer Hugo Lassiège, our European scale-up aims to revolutionise the world of work by creating a community in which everyone is free to choose the best people to work with.
We are a tech company with a human approach:
- Over 330 Malters sharing one culture
- Offices in France, Germany, Spain, Belgium and the Netherlands
- Committed to equality and diversity (50% women/men parity of Malt Leaders)
- 112 M € raised with ISAI, Serena, Eurazeo Growth & Goldman Sachs
- Twice recognised by LinkedIn as one of the best start-ups to work at
Join us and become part of the #NewWorkOrder!
Malt is growing rapidly. In order to achieve its ambitious goals, we offer you the opportunity to join the Malt engineering team as a Senior Platform Engineering Manager.
The Engineering Team is part of the product team. Along with product managers and designers, we create the most efficient marketplace for our freelancers and clients.
The engineering team counts around 50 members:
- Backend Software Engineers (Java, Kotlin)
- Mobile Engineers (iOS, Android)
- Cloud Engineers (GCP, Kubernetes, Terraform, gitlab CI),
- Security Engineers
- Data Engineers, Data Scientists and Product Data Analysts.
We are organized in 3 tribes: freelancers, clients and platform, each tribe is subdivided in smaller teams or squads. Squads are responsible for a part of the product from A to Z (user research, design, architecture, support, technical debt, production...), and imagine the best solutions to reach the product OKRs and thus contribute directly to the company's growth.
The platform tribe aims at providing solid foundations to other teams around efficiency, reliability, security, productivity and quality. It is composed of:
- The Cloud Engineering team (Cloud operations, Continuous integration and deployment)
- The Shared Services team (shared product code and functionalities)
- The Security team
- The Data Engineering team
- A group of Guild leaders - in charge of leading architecture and the product technical vision.
At Malt, we believe that curiosity is an asset. The whole team participates in the product architecture, all decisions are collegial and we regularly engage in discussions on the best way to do things.
The team also actively participates in writing articles on our blog, Inside Malt.
About the role
As Senior Platform Engineering Manager, you will be in charge of managing the Cloud Engineering and Shared Services teams (Cloud operations, CI/CD, platform services).
You will report to the VP engineering and work closely with the Head of Data, Head of Security and other Engineering Managers.
As a Platform Engineering Manager, your missions will be
- Manage individual performance (1 on 1, goals, reviews, mentoring, feedback and peer feedback) and follow your team members evolution in the engineering career path.
- Set-up and follow QoS and performance metrics for the platform,
- Assist your teams in creating a shared vision, consolidate and communicate it,
- Implement this vision by setting quarterly OKRs (objectives and key results), arbitrate on priorities when needed
- Help your teams identify the most appropriate initiatives to contribute to the OKRs
- Help your teams manage incidents, create and follow remediation and post-mortem processes,
- Help your teams shine externally and promote Malt as a great place to work,
- Follow the budget and participate in creating forecasts,
- Recruiting new engineers and orchestrating their arrival at Malt.
You will actively participate in the engineering management community with the goal of implementing consistent tools or processes across the engineering team and sharing your experience and best practices with your peers.
- With an initial education in computer science (engineering school or equivalent), you have significant experience as an individual contributor (development, product owner, scrum master, etc.) and have decided to move towards management by conviction.
- You have 3 to 5 years of experience as an engineering manager and wish to continue to evolve in this direction.
Our Recruitment process
- Screening with Fatima, our Tech Talent Acquisition Manager, to better understand your background, aspirations and answer your questions (45 minutes)
- Interview with Benoit (our VP Engineering), to discuss your experience and the role in more detail (60 minutes)
- Technical Home assignment to prepare and present in order to evaluate your hard skills
- Final interview with a C-Level to discuss Malt’s long term vision
☎️ Proposal within 48h
- Life at Malt - 🤝
- One week of onboarding at your arrival - Learn about our culture and product before diving into your new role in your team
- 100% home-office friendly policy
- Annual off-sites : Les Arcs, Amsterdam, Spain… What’s next ?
- Monthly karaokes in our offices
- Benefits - 😃
- Malt sabbatical - Every malter with a three year seniority can benefit from one month sabbatical leave
- Every malter is entitled to stock options (BSPCE)
- Lunch vouchers - Swile, 9€/day
- Transportation: 50% reimbursement (any type of transport)
- RTT - From 8 to 12 days off
- Free books - For any subject we will order the book for you, without any approval process or headaches