Cape Town, ZA /
Tech – QA /
Who we are:
Mama Money is a growth-stage fintech startup working to help migrant workers in South Africa send money home. Since 2015 we have been providing reliable remittances, at a socially fair price, to those that need it most.
Mama HQ is in beautiful Cape Town, South Africa. We are 173 people strong (and counting) from 19 countries, across Africa, Asia, UK, and Europe. Our shared mission is to leave greed behind and show that we can use our talents and resources to make the world a better place. Our culture is built around the wellbeing of our team members and making a difference in our communities. “Just be lekker!” personifies our approach to work: we trust the wisdom of our talented and diverse team to do what is best for our customers and get the job done responsibly, without pedantic policies.
We’ve been around since 2015 and have earned a few accolades along the way, made some new friends, and expanded our reach but we are just getting started. We are self-funded and profitable. Our sustainable business model helps us keep delivering social impact, with the focus being on helping people rather than maximizing profit.
We are looking for a “Quality Advocate”, who will play a key role in cultivating a quality-focused mindset within the team, to join us at Mama Money.
Working closely with the Developers you will contribute to, advocate for and help improve our overall approach to quality.
In order to do this you will need:
- Strong demonstrable testing skills and the ability to operate efficiently as part of a high performing, multi-disciplinary team.
- A critical mindset with regards to testing and the ability to identify experiments and opportunities to improve quality practices such as TDD, pairing, mobbing, exploratory testing etc.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills with the ability to build relationships and confidently lead quality within the team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication so you will be able to gather requirements from whatever sources are available; identify and highlight problems with ambiguous requirements; and design, code and resolve these issues.
- Experience of identifying test automation gaps, prioritizing this into sprints and, finally, writing automated tests in the new framework to cover the gap.
The tools you will need to use or be interested in using:
- Your tester mindset
- Soap UI
- Java Rest Assured
- Your favourite IDE
- Maria DB
- AWS ecosystem
From a process perspective, Mama Money has been growing super fast, which means that a big challenge is scaling our development platforms and practices to support concurrent development of features with multiple teams collaborating. Based on this, we are adopting Agile principles using the Scrum framework. You'll have to have a strong working understanding of Agile and Scrum mechanics, as well as an understanding of the meaning of what they achieve
What skills and experience you should have:
- Software testing experience and knowledge: Risks, SBTM, CDT, etc
- Experience working in an Agile environment: Scrum / Kanban
- The ability to multi-task and manage multiple threads of work at once
- The ability to troubleshoot the source of bugs and report efficiently
If you are passionate about your testing craft and excited about creating a culture of software quality excellence, you're in the right place.
At Mama Money, the customers & communities1 we serve are at the heart of all that we do.
We bring our authentic2 selves to work where we are free to express our diverse identities while staying true to what we believe in and how we feel. Part of that means being able to have difficult conversations when necessary but always remembering to do so with trust, respect, and a positive mindset3. Being open to receiving feedback and understanding how this helps us evolve and grow is essential to succeeding in our environment.
We are responsible4 for ourselves, our behaviour, our delivery, and our output. Although we always aim to move things forward and get $hit done, we start small - taking it step by step and always look for ways in which we can improve. We know from experience that when we work together5 towards a common goal, we can achieve anything.
Mama Money is a special place because we care. We care about our customers, we care about the people who work for us and we care about the impact our work has on the world. There are things that we don’t care about too. Things like bureaucracy, discrimination, ego, titles, and silos. We’re a friendly bunch who don’t take ourselves too seriously but we do take our work, and our customers’ hard-earned money, very seriously.
1. Customer & Community
3. Positive Mindset