Java Developer - various levels
Tech – Software Development /
Mama Money is fortunate to be growing and has a number of roles available for Java Developers of varying levels. No matter the level, you'll get stuck into our back-end system that serves as the engine that drives our app.
We deploy a service-oriented architecture, with services (some micro, some not so micro) interoperating through RESTful APIs and message queues. We utilize a technology stack of Java, Spring, Spring Boot, and MariaDB (RDS), using a range of Amazon Web Services technologies.
You'll have the opportunity to get a broad view and collaborate with multiple development teams, frontend, backend, and DevOps, to develop, deploy, test, and maintain our systems
From a process perspective, Mama Money has been growing super fast, which means that a big challenge is scaling our development platforms and practices to support concurrent development of features with multiple teams collaborating. Based on this, we are adopting Agile principles using the Scrum framework. You'll have to have a strong working understanding of Agile and Scrum mechanics, as well as an understanding of the meaning of what they achieve. You'll participate in all facets of the process, including requirements analysis, creation of stories (we use Jira as our tool of choice), task breakdown, and story point estimates, and join our journey in learning and evolving how we scale up.
What you'll do:
- Be a part of investigating and implementing new processes, tools, and technologies to help us grow
- Be involved in the full SDLC of new features
- Take responsibility for test automation (unit and integration) of new code
- Help identify and address technical debt in existing codebases
- Assist with deployment, QA, and support
- Ensure code quality through peer reviews, documentation, and knowledge sharing
- Languages: Java
- Database: MariaDB
- AWS Services: EC2, S3, API Gateway, Cognito, ECS
- Automation: Java with REST Assured, Appium
- Tools: Jira, Confluence, Postman, Dbeaver, GIT
What skills and experience you should have:
- 3 + years’ experience programming in Java ideally within a financial services environment
- The ability to work collaboratively in an ever-changing environment
It would be ideal if you have:
- BSc Computer Science, technical tertiary qualification or significant work experience
- Experience working with microservice architecture
- A basic understanding of Docker / Kubernetes
- Experience developing for the cloud
Mama Money is an innovative, rapidly growing tech company and the world’s first Social Business Money Transfer Operator. Formed in 2015, Mama Money was created in order to enable foreign nationals to send money to their home countries at a socially fair price, in the most accessible and efficient way possible. Our business is underpinned by the sentiment that we should leave greed behind us and use the resources we have to make the world a better place.
Customer & Community
Currently, our customers come to South Africa from all over the world and are able to send money to over 50 countries globally, using a variety of acquisition and payment channels, for fees as low as 1% per transaction. We are now embarking on the exciting journey of expanding our operation to the UK, as well as expanding our product line to incorporate other financial service products that will enable the millions of foreign nationals around the world to partake in the financial ecosystem from which they are often excluded. Mama Money is a self-funded, profitable business that is growing steadily so you can rest assured that you are in secure hands with us!