Sr. Scientist, Reagent Lyophilization
San Francisco /
R&D - Diagnostics – R&D - Diagnostics /
Mammoth Biosciences is harnessing the diversity of nature to power the next-generation of CRISPR products. Through the discovery and development of novel CRISPR systems, the company is enabling the full potential of its platform to read and write the code of life. By leveraging its internal research and development and exclusive licensing to patents related to Cas12, Cas13, Cas14 and Casɸ, Mammoth Biosciences can provide enhanced diagnostics and genome editing for life science research, healthcare, agriculture, biodefense and more. Mammoth is democratizing disease detection with easy and affordable point-of-care tests that allow real-time and simultaneous detection of multiple conditions, along with high-throughput tests that allow for unprecedented testing volume. Further, the company is transforming disease treatment with its proprietary micro-sized CRISPR proteins that enable new editing and delivery options. Based in San Francisco, Mammoth Biosciences is co-founded by CRISPR pioneer Jennifer Doudna and principal founders Trevor Martin, Janice Chen, and Lucas Harrington. The firm is backed by top institutional investors including Decheng, Mayfield, NFX, and 8VC, and leading individual investors including Brook Byers, Tim Cook, Bob Nelsen, and Jeff Huber.
Mammoth is looking for a Sr. Scientist, Reagent Lyophilization. This position is critical to Mammoth’s charter of using innovative CRISPR enzymes in diagnostic products. This role leads a team charged with developing the lyophilization cycles for Mammoth’s innovative CRISPR based detection reagent, transferring these into reagent manufacturing and executing the stability studies for all of Mammoth’s assay reagents.
- Organize and lead a team of scientists with chemistry and/or molecular biology backgrounds to develop the lyophilization cycles for several different types of reagents and for many different molecular assay targets.
- Determine the protective excipients that adequately protect the reagents enzymes during lyophilization.
- Recruit and hire the team members that share the vision for this team as the experts for the Lyophilization and Stability of Mammoth’s assay reagents.
- Lead the designing, execution and reporting of the Stability Studies for all Mammoth assay reagents.
- Lead the interactions with Mammoth’s contract manufacturing organizations to implement commercial lyophilization at the needed scale for successful assay commercialization.
- Be the Mammoth expert in Analytical Chemistry techniques to analyze the key characteristics of the assay reagents in liquid or lyophilized form.
- Write plans, protocols and reports that are compliant with 21 CFR 820 and ISO 13485.
- A minimum of 5 years industry experience designing Lyophilization cycles
- Knowledge and experiences using and applying Karl Fisher moisture analysis methods, freeze dry microscopy, and differential scanning calorimetry to measure and assess the efficacy and stability of lyophilized reagents
- Experiences using the scientific method for lyophilization cycle design using the analytical techniques listed above along with Pirani gauge and thermocouple measurements
- Experiences with writing, executing and reporting on reagent stability studies including accelerated stability methods
- Experience successfully leading a scientific product development team of 3 or more people
- MS or Ph.D. in Chemistry, or Analytical Chemistry or Chemical Engineering
- A minimum of 5 years industry experience designing Lyophilization cycles for a pharamceutical or IVD application within a 21 CFR 820 quality management system
- Participation in the development of at least 3 different products and encompassing a majority of the product development phases of Concept and Feasibility, Design, Verification, Validation, Design Transfer, Product Launch, Product Support
- Competitive salary with equity
- Company-paid health/vision/dental benefits
- Unlimited vacation and generous sick time
- Free breakfast/lunch/dinner/barista
- Free gym
- Public transportation commuter subsidy
- 401(k) matching