Scientist, New Modalities
Mammoth Brisbane /
R&D - Genome Editing & Protein Discovery – Genome Editing and Protein Discovery /
Mammoth Biosciences, Inc. is harnessing the diversity of nature to power the next-generation of CRISPR products. Through the discovery and development of novel CRISPR systems, the company is enabling the full potential of its platform to read and write the code of life. By leveraging its internal research and development and exclusive licensing to patents related to Cas12, Cas13, Cas14 and CasPhi, Mammoth Biosciences can provide enhanced diagnostics and genome editing for life science research, healthcare, agriculture, biodefense and more. Mammoth is democratizing disease detection with easy and affordable point-of-care tests that allow real-time and simultaneous detection of multiple conditions, along with high-throughput tests that allow for unprecedented testing volume. Further, the company is transforming disease treatment with its proprietary micro-sized CRISPR proteins that enable new editing and delivery options. Based in Brisbane, CA, Mammoth Biosciences is co-founded by CRISPR pioneer and Nobel Prize winner Jennifer Doudna and principal founders Trevor Martin, Janice Chen, and Lucas Harrington. The firm is backed by top institutional investors including Decheng, Mayfield, NFX, and 8VC, and leading individual investors including Brook Byers, Tim Cook, Bob Nelsen, and Jeff Huber.
Mammoth is seeking a Scientist with expertise in building genome editing tools in mammalian contexts to join our growing genome editing technology team. The ideal candidate will have direct experience with developing novel CRISPR-based genome manipulation technologies including, but not limited to, gene editing, gene regulation, epigenetic modulation, and base editing. A strong background in mammalian cell engineering and synthetic biology is essential. Candidates must be comfortable collaborating with others and prioritizing time, agendas, and projects to accomplish goals.
- Screen CRISPR Cas systems to test their potential use in complex genome manipulation tools
- Construct and validate various CRISPR based genome manipulation tools in mammalian cells
- Design CRISPR-based genome manipulation tools with novel modalities
- Build assays to evaluate diverse genome manipulation outcomes including on-target and off-target effects
- Keep up with relevant literature on the latest developments in the field
- Communicate key scientific data to project teams and senior management with a clear interpretation of data and proposal of next steps
- Collaborate with others on the team and, when applicable, manage direct reports
- Ph.D. in molecular and cell biology, bioengineering, biochemistry, or a related field
- 3+ years of experience in (an) academic and/or industry setting(s)
- Hands-on experience of CRISPR based gene editing machinery development and assessment in mammalian cells
- Experience using one or more gene editing tools (e.g gene regulation, epigenetic modulation and/or base editing) with an understanding of their optimization in mammalian cells
- Demonstrated experience with mammalian cell culture of different mammalian cell types, both primary and immortalized cells
- Experience with DNA/RNA isolation, molecular cloning, and PCR/qPCR/next-generation sequencing experiment design and execution
- Proficiency in cell biology skills such as flow cytometry and FACS
- Experience with mRNA and protein production of gene-editing components
- Familiarity with various mammalian cell delivery strategies and their optimization process, including lipid-based transfection, electroporation, viral vector, etc.
- Experience with luminescence/fluorescence cellular assays
- Proficient in R/Matlab/Python or other programming languages and familiarity with their usage in bioinformatics data analysis.
- Experience with protein engineering to improve gene editing tools
- Company-paid health/vision/dental benefits
- Unlimited vacation and generous sick time
- Company-sponsored meals and snacks
- Wellness, caregiver and ergonomics benefits
- 401(k) with company matching