Scientist, Nucleic Acid Isolation
South San Francisco /
Mammoth Biosciences is harnessing the diversity of nature to power the next generation of CRISPR products. Through the discovery and development of novel CRISPR systems, the company is enabling the full potential of its platform to read and write the code of life. Mammoth aims to democratize disease detection with an easy and affordable point-of-care test that allows real-time and simultaneous detection of multiple conditions. By leveraging its internal research and development and exclusive licensing to Cas12, Cas13 and Cas14, Mammoth can provide enhanced diagnostics and genome editing for life science research, healthcare, agriculture, biodefense and more. Based in San Francisco, Mammoth Biosciences is co-founded by CRISPR pioneer Jennifer Doudna and principal founders Trevor Martin, Janice Chen, and Lucas Harrington. The firm is backed by top institutional investors including Mayfield, NFX, and 8VC, Decheng, and leading individual investors including Brook Byers, Tim Cook, and Jeff Huber.
Mammoth is seeking a Scientist, Nucleic Acid Isolation experienced in sample preparation approaches as well as protein and nucleic acid biochemistry techniques to support our research and product development teams. The ideal candidate will have experience handling a variety of infectious human clinical sample types and experience with in vitro assay development, nucleic acid extraction and amplification techniques. Further, the candidate will be comfortable working as part of a team, be highly motivated, and display excellent time management skills.
- Execute Research and Development activities through all phases of product development
- Innovate reagents for new sample preparation approaches for CRISPR-diagnostic applications
- Conduct feasibility studies of sample preparation approaches to improve CRISPR-diagnostic assays
- Conduct hands-on-experiments for sample processing, nucleic acid extraction, amplification, and related assays
- Participate in verification and validation studies and help transfer new products to development following design control processes
- Perform data analysis of experiments and generate summaries for group meetings
- Document information by maintaining daily logs and equipment record books.
- Resolve problems by examining and evaluating data and selecting corrective steps.
- Complete projects by assisting project team and attending and participating in group and project meetings
- Stay current in the field by participating in educational opportunities and reading relevant publications
- Master’s degree in biochemistry chemistry, molecular biology or related field plus 5 years of industry experience, or
- PhD in biochemistry chemistry, molecular biology or related field plus two years industry of experience
- Experience processing different human sample types (e.g. saliva, primary tissue, blood, urine)
- Experience with designing and optimizing nucleic acid amplification (e.g. qPCR) and/or other molecular biology protocols
- Experience with non-commercial nucleic acid extraction methods
- Experience in Python, JMP, and/or other data analysis tools a plus
- Exceptional skills in communication, presentation, data analysis, and interpretation
- Highly motivated and detail-oriented with the ability to think creatively towards efficient problem solving
- Competitive salary with equity
- Company-paid health/vision/dental benefits
- Unlimited vacation and generous sick time
- Free breakfast/lunch/dinner/barista
- Free gym
- Public transportation commuter subsidy
- 401(k) matching