Research Associate, Discovery (High-throughput Mammalian Screening)
Mammoth Brisbane /
R&D - Genome Editing & Protein Discovery – Genome Editing and Protein Discovery /
Mammoth Biosciences, Inc. is harnessing the diversity of nature to power the next-generation of CRISPR products. Through the discovery and development of novel CRISPR systems, the company is enabling the full potential of its platform to read and write the code of life. By leveraging its internal research and development and exclusive licensing to patents related to Cas12, Cas13, Cas14 and CasPhi, Mammoth Biosciences can provide enhanced diagnostics and genome editing for life science research, healthcare, agriculture, biodefense and more. Mammoth is democratizing disease detection with easy and affordable point-of-care tests that allow real-time and simultaneous detection of multiple conditions, along with high-throughput tests that allow for unprecedented testing volume. Further, the company is transforming disease treatment with its proprietary micro-sized CRISPR proteins that enable new editing and delivery options. Based in Brisbane, CA, Mammoth Biosciences is co-founded by CRISPR pioneer and Nobel Prize winner Jennifer Doudna and principal founders Trevor Martin, Janice Chen, and Lucas Harrington. The firm is backed by top institutional investors including Decheng, Mayfield, NFX, and 8VC, and leading individual investors including Brook Byers, Tim Cook, Bob Nelsen, and Jeff Huber.
Mammoth is currently seeking a creative and detail-oriented Research Associate with experience in molecular biology, next-generation sequencing, and/or mammalian cell culture to join our growing Discovery team.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with colleagues to develop and execute high-throughput experiments on mammalian cell lines to support the discovery, characterization, and development of novel Cas nucleases for genome editing. They will have the opportunity to contribute broadly across multiple technical areas, including automation, software tool development, synthetic biology, and high-throughput screening.
This position requires adaptability, strong organizational and communication skills, and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a dynamic team-oriented environment.
- Develop and execute high-throughput molecular biology, cell culture, and functional assay protocols in the novel Cas nuclease discovery pipeline
- Integrate high-throughput laboratory automation into experimental workflows
- Detailed, accurate, and timely documentation of experimental procedures, data, and analysis, including meticulous sample tracking and data management
- Provide team support for basic laboratory tasks including tissue culture of various cell lines, phenotyping and analytical characterization of cells, genome editing of human cells, and virus production
- Regular communications of data and analysis results to senior staff and team members
- Conduct all activities in a safe and efficient manner, adhering to environmental health and safety requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in molecular and cell biology, immunology, biochemistry, or a related field
- 2 years of research experience with mammalian cell culture or in molecular/cell biology
- Experience or proficiency in mammalian cell culture, molecular cloning, PCR, DNA/RNA purification, and next-generation sequencing
- Experience with high-throughput laboratory automation (e.g. Tecan liquid handlers, Agilent Bravo, ZAG)
- Experience or proficiency with SQL, R, Python, etc. as well as other data analysis tools such as JMP, FlowJo, etc.
- 2 years of biotechnology industry experience
- Company-paid health/vision/dental benefits
- Unlimited vacation and generous sick time
- Company-sponsored meals and snacks
- Wellness, caregiver and ergonomics benefits
- 401(k) with company matching