Bioinformatics Data Scientist I/II
Mammoth Brisbane /
R&D - Therapeutics – R&D - Therapeutics /
This Bioinformatics Data Scientist role offers a unique opportunity to support cutting-edge discovery efforts in applied CRISPR research. The opportunity is ideal if you are motivated to help a multidisciplinary team of scientists explore the vast natural diversity of CRISPR systems. We will rely on you to execute and improve our sequence data analysis processes towards extracting valuable and actionable insights. In doing so, you will learn about specific areas where bioinformatics and data science techniques can significantly impact our bioengineering efforts and support technical requests from our intellectual property team. Above all, this role offers you a chance to make a meaningful contribution towards developing next-generation diagnostic and therapeutic solutions for the world’s most urgent healthcare needs. Note: This role has the potential to be 100% Remote.
- Develop custom pipelines for automated processing of the incoming sequence data
- Document, visualize, and ensure consistency of the results with set requirements
- Communicate the findings to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Think creatively about additional learning opportunities given the available data
- Communicate proactively with the team about the intermediate findings, challenges, and opportunities for further exploration
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline such as Bioinformatics, Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or a related field
- 5+ years of industry experience or Master's degree with 3 years of industry experience or Ph.D. degree
- Proven track record of coding in Python and version control systems (preferably Git)
- Experience with the Python data science stack (such as numpy, pandas, sklearn, etc.)
- Experience in mining biological sequence data using common bioinformatics tools (such as BioPython, HMMer, MMseqs2, BLAST)
- Experience in SQL scripting for data retrieval
- Track record of developing integrated bioinformatics pipelines that generate actionable insights for experimentalists
- Cloud-based computing and parallel programming experience
- Experience in assembly and annotation of microbial genomes or metagenomes
- Passion for applying and optimizing ML solutions to generate actionable hypotheses
- Experience in using open source platforms for machine learning (Tensorflow, PyTorch, or Scikit Learn)
- Experience in effective collaboration in a remote setting
- Exceptional time-management skills and ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced team
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills with a knack for identifying bottlenecks, finding and pitching more efficient solutions
- Exceptional skills in communication, presentations, data analysis, and interpretation
- Company-paid health/vision/dental benefits
- Unlimited vacation and generous sick time
- Company-sponsored meals and snacks
- Wellness, caregiver, and ergonomics benefits
- 401(k) with company matching
Mammoth Biosciences, Inc. is harnessing the diversity of nature to power the next generation of CRISPR products. Through the discovery and development of novel CRISPR systems, the company is enabling the full potential of its platform to read and write the code of life. Mammoth aims to develop permanent genetic cures through best-in-class in vivo and ex vivo therapies and to democratize disease detection with on-demand diagnostics. Mammoth can provide enhanced diagnostics and genome editing for life science research, healthcare, agriculture, biodefense, and more. Based in Brisbane, CA, Mammoth Biosciences is co-founded by CRISPR pioneer and Nobel Prize winner Jennifer Doudna and principal founders Trevor Martin, Janice Chen, and Lucas Harrington. The firm is backed by top institutional investors including Decheng, Mayfield, NFX, and 8VC, and leading individual investors including Brook Byers, Tim Cook, Bob Nelsen, and Jeff Huber.
Our small-size proteins, such as Cas14 and CasPhi, are poised to transform disease treatment enabling novel editing approaches and delivery options that are difficult to achieve or not even possible with previously described CRISPR-Cas systems. Our teams are responsible for discovering and engineering novel CRISPR systems, establishing CRISPR-based diagnostics, and translating our unique CRISPR technology into therapeutic treatments with the ultimate goal of cures for indications with high medical need.
It is our policy and intent to provide equal opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, political affiliation, sex/gender (including gender expression/identity, pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and/or any other basis protected by law. This policy covers all facets of employment including, but not limited to: recruiting, selection, placement, promotions, transfers, demotions, terminations, training, and compensation.