Senior Backend Software Engineer
Marco Polo is a video chat app created for one simple and significant purpose—to help people feel close.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Software Engineer to help us build and maintain the server technology that powers Marco Polo. The ideal candidate for this role is committed to understanding business needs and the users’ experience, so that they can build and solve problems in the best possible way, helping us achieve our purpose at scale.
In this position, you will:
- Build the API supporting our newest technology: You’ll work closely with cross-functional teams, collaborating on shared initiatives that advance the development of our products. You’ll work closely with design, product and other engineers to solve some of our most complex problems.
- Produce solid code: You’ll work with a variety of languages, with a focus on Python. You’ll help us raise the bar for the entire team on our code quality and speed. You understand in detail how your code affects scalability and network performance, taking pride in ensuring it always has a positive impact.
- Support our Infrastructure: You’ll proactively participate in the ongoing effort to improve our server infrastructure. You’ll contribute to live site issues and regular deployment and maintenance. As part of this, you will become an expert on our cloud architecture and how your code runs at scale.
- Build team culture and mentor others: We are a small team, and this role offers the ability to help form its culture and processes. As a senior on the team, you’ll learn about and educate others on new technologies and best practices. You’ll provide guidance and mentorship to other team members, in an effort to help uplevel the entire team.
Ideally, you have:
- 5+ years of relevant experience, especially using Python in a work setting.
- Experience with cloud providers and the solution designs that are built around these technologies (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and similar).
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, supporting multiple projects at once.
- A strong foundation in computer science, data structures, algorithms and software design.
- Strong and effective interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills to work successfully in a 100% remote team environment.
You’ll love working here because:
- We’re a purpose-driven company making a difference in the lives of millions of people.
- We have been doing the remote work thing long before it became necessary. We’re good at it and we’ll make sure you are too!
- We move quickly so you’re constantly learning and things never get stale.
- We know good ideas come from everywhere, so we work to ensure every person feels safe to take risks and think outside of the box.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical, vision and dental coverage plus benefits that support your mental health and emotional well-being.
- Flexible paid time off, generous company holidays and self care days.
- 100% remote, anywhere in North America. Stipend for a coworking space.
- A work schedule built to fit your real life.
- Quarterly in-person and virtual team retreats, all expenses paid.
- Compensation: Our cash compensation package is made of up two components - base pay and equity in the company. The target salary for this position is $140,000 to $170,000 per year. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including knowledge, skills, and experience, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Does this sound interesting to you? If so, then we'd love to hear from you. We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Marco Polo. If you’re on the fence about whether you’re a fit, go ahead and apply! Each application is reviewed by a real, live human who understands that each candidate’s unique lived experience is more valuable than buzzwords on a resume.
A bit about us:
Marco Polo is private video chat for your real relationships - not the entire world. Our video chat app allows you to send a video message at your convenience, and your friend or family member can send back whenever they can. With millions of people already benefiting from this new way of using technology to nurture their relationships, we’re proving that we can reject harmful but profitable business practices and build products that are good for you.
In June 2020, we launched Marco Polo Plus, a subscription plan that offers a premium experience. We aim to be a sustainable business while remaining free in a way that upholds our brand promise to be good for you. Plus delivers on our promise to monetize without ads or selling user data.
Though our backgrounds are diverse, we share a belief—lives flourish when people feel close. That common inspiration keeps us aligned with our purpose as a team, which is scattered across 16 states (so far), coast-to-coast throughout North America.
The distance doesn't slow us down. We keep the engine humming from our homes, co-working spaces, and coffee shops—connecting with daily Zoom calls, and retreats. Whether collaborating through Slack, video calls, or of course Marco Polo, our team knows how to keep connected—it’s what we do best!
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We can add teammates from anywhere in North America.