Founding Principal Engineer
Remote (USA) /
Marigold Health is looking for our first engineering leader to oversee our team and vision for architecting, implementing and scaling the platform the powers our virtual mental health and substance use recovery program, which provides a combination of 1-1 coaching and 24/7 anonymous chat support groups accessed over phone, SMS, and app/web. We plan to scale using proprietary natural language processing tools. This person will take ownership of our existing codebase as well as the strategy and roadmap for building towards version 3.0 of our product offering. You will collaborate with our product, data science and clinical operations to improve the responsiveness, quality, security, scalability and reliability of our technology offering. You’ll contribute technical product vision, write software, identify product improvements, and work with a team of distributed software engineers across multiple timezones. We are looking for someone who can dive into the details when needed, while also providing highly technical guidance, and leading and motivating other engineers.
Marigold Health exists to give every person with a mental health or substance use condition a place to feel heard. We have designed an asynchronous-first treatment program where patients support each other. We believe peers, individuals in recovery themselves who have received training to support others, can empower & engage those least likely to interact with current forms of care.
What You'll Do
- Own code quality and secure software development life cycle
- Learning new technologies and using the best tech / focus on solving the problem
- Guiding their team through technical issues and challenges
- Collaborate on security audits to identify areas of improvement
- Work to define technical architecture and lead Integrations
- Delegating tasks and achieving daily, weekly, and monthly goals
- Liaising with team members, management, and clients to ensure projects are completed to standard.
Reporting, Schedule and Location: This is a full-time opportunity reporting to our Chief Product Officer. Most team members work virtually from home and are located on the east coast and internationally. You can work remotely anywhere in the US. Most team members work virtually from home and are located on the east coast and internationally. If you prefer in-person work for any portion of the week, we currently have offices in Delaware and Massachusetts. You should expect to be available during east coast hours.
- 7-10 years of engineering experience in industry, with at least 2 years in a lead role managing others’ work output and at least 1 year of healthcare tech experience
- Strong understanding of U.S. healthcare regulations as they relate to building software, including HIPAA and HITRUST
- Experience building production ready products that have gone through HIPAA, HITRUST, NIST certification
- Curiosity about and demonstrated ability to learn new technologies
- Demonstrated track record of designing and developing systems for scale, performance, security, and availability
- Ability to decompose complex business problems and collaborate with others in solving them
- Strong analytical skills leading to demonstrated expertise in problem-solving and technical innovation
- Ability to work and communicate within a remote and distributed global team as well as high DevOps standards
- Ability to think broadly and strategically coupled with the desire to directly manage projects and tasks
- Strong risk assessment and time estimation skills
- SDLC (integrating security testing and other activities into an existing development process)
- Mobile development in React native, its core libraries, and Dart
- Web development with React
- Server development in Node.js, Express, Feathers, Postgres
- Common Vendors: Twillio, Pubnub, GetStream
- Experience at a mid-stage startup
- The base salary range for this role is $160-200K, depending on experience. In addition, as part of our founding team, this role will include significant equity.
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage, including fully covered premiums for individuals (with the option to cover dependents for a cost) and a dedicated mental health benefit
- 4 weeks of PTO
- Computer and equipment provided
- Company travel budget and professional development budget as needed
Tech Stack Experience - solid understanding of:
Compensation, Benefits and Culture
After you submit your application, it will be reviewed by the hiring manager and select members of the team. If it seems like we’re a good fit for each other, we will follow up and schedule a 15-30 minute phone call with one of our leaders to get to know you.
If we jointly decide to move forward, you can plan to (virtually) attend a 45 video interview with members from our Product Team. Next there will be a technical assessment tailored to how you best like to work (e.g. take home or live). The final stage would be to meet (2-4) other members of the team via video conference for additional conversations about your approach to collaboration, your relevant experience to current projects, and alignment with our values. All in, you can expect the time commitment for this stage to be 3-4 hours of synchronous interaction, scheduled to fit your needs.
If you complete interviews, we will provide a decision or clear next step within five business days.
We are ready to hire as soon as we find the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
More About Our Company
Marigold Health is an early-stage, rapidly growing startup providing services for a range of community based mental health and substance use treatment providers as well as national health insurers. We collaborate with eminent investigators at Brown University and Johns Hopkins and have been publicly recognized by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and the American Psychiatric Association.
Our program is a combination of 1-1 coaching and 24/7 anonymous chat support groups accessed over phone, SMS, and app/web. On the backend, proprietary natural language processing tools scale our peer workforce by augmenting group moderation, automating patient outreach, and sending sentiment-based “alerts” to coordinate care with other providers. Following strong results from our first clinical studies, we are entering a period of rapid growth, and expect to expand from 2 states today to 12 by this time next year.
Our core values are authenticity, candor, and ambition. Inclusion is at the core of what we do. We’re working to bring care to the most underserved and stigmatized patients. We actively welcome applicants from a wealth of different backgrounds (including but not limited to race, gender, educational background, and sexual orientation). We must have diversity on our team and in our mindsets to be successful in moving the needle on the deeply entrenched and systematic challenges we face.
Marigold Health is an equal opportunity employer.
Questions? Email ravi [at] marigoldhealth.com for more info.