Head of Clinical Research
Boston, MA /
Clinical & Research /
We’re looking for a science officer to assess clinical outcomes, secure funding for studies, and build out a network of research collaborators. Marigold Health exists to give every patient with a mental health or substance use condition (~25% of all American adults) a place to feel heard.
The product is a mobile platform for chat-based group support with a natural language processing (NLP) backend that automatically detects and visualizes clinically-relevant sentiment within messages to inform providers. We sell directly to provider systems and payors so the most underserved patients can get 24/7, culturally-competent support at no cost. Our NLP gives clinicians a 7-10x gain in patient capacity - allowing them the bandwidth to scale to the true magnitude of the mental health crisis.
The current team has roots in Johns Hopkins, and the clinical merit of our work has been recognized by organizations ranging from the National Institute on Drug Abuse to the American Psychiatric Association. We recently closed a seed round with top-tier VCs such as Felicis Ventures, General Catalyst, and Rock Health. We're already working with a range of providers, from a community mental health center, to a nationally-recognized psychiatric facility.
We’re seeking someone curious & collaborative to join our founding team FT.
Expect a mix of overseeing our current validation efforts, and proactively identifying novel research funding opportunities and partners.
Our Boston HQ has 3 working FT, with additional team members distributed. We value empathy, creativity, independent thinking, diversity, candor, and ambition.
What You'll Do
- Interact with our product and design team to ensure our platform is utilizing evidence-based principles
- Collaborate deeply with our data science team and current research partners at Johns Hopkins and Brown University on ongoing investigations
- Provide input to Marigold’s data science team to refine our NLP tools
- Organize a broader network of research collaborators and advisors
- Work with the Medical Officer to understand clinical best practices within our clients
- Develop a pipeline of, and submit proposals for, research funding opportunities that refine the platform and are complementary to business goals
- Communicate Marigold’s clinical value to policymakers and potential customers
- Work to publish findings on Marigold’s clinical outcomes and early sites
- A medical degree and/or PhD with 5+ years experience leading research at the PI-level
- Multiple peer-reviewed publications in an area relevant to our work
- Track record of receiving federal and/or private research funding
- A robust ability to gather and interpret baseline data, and design studies effective at separating out multiple potential effects
Nice to Have
- A broad network of potential research collaborates and existing relationships at funding institutions
- Clinical experience
What's In It For You
- Shape the organizational culture of a mission-driven team in its early days
- Push the boundaries of research at a rapidly growing startup, with significant downstream impact on the product
- Significant equity as part of the founding team
- Competitive salary + perks
- Save lives by bringing support to those who would’ve never otherwise sought treatment
Who You Are
- You have a knack for understanding which questions to ask, and in what order
- You know the existing literature inside and out
- You’re motivated by our mission to give every single patient with a mental health condition a unique voice
- You take initiative and thrive in an unstructured environment
- Time is our most precious resource and perfect isn’t always possible: you’re adept at triaging, prioritizing, and iterating
- You’re ruthless in challenging assumptions when strategizing but act with conviction
- You learn quickly, and take pride in understanding the trade-offs your teammates face in their roles, as well as the larger implications of your own work
- You know how to glean insights, test hypotheses, and demonstrate results with limited resources
Inclusion is at the core of what we do. We’re working to bring care to the most underserved and stigmatized patients. We actively welcome applicants from a wealth of different backgrounds (including but not limited to race, gender, educational background, and sexual orientation). Unless we have diversity on our team and in our mindsets as we work together to move the needle on a deeply entrenched, systematic issue, we will fail.
Marigold Health is an equal opportunity employer.