Supplier Quality Engineer
Operations – Operations
Markforged is reinventing manufacturing with the most affordable 3D metal and carbon fiber printers capable of producing parts strong enough for the factory floor. Engineers, designers, and manufacturing professionals all over the world rely on Markforged metal and composite printers for tooling, fixtures, functional prototyping, and high-value end-use production and optimizing their manufacturing and supply chains. Founded in 2013 and based in Watertown, MA, Markforged has about 300 employees globally, with $137 million in both strategic and venture capital. Markforged’s vision is a world in which you build anything you imagine. Markforged was recently recognized by Forbes in the Next Billion-Dollar Startups list and listed as the fastest-growing 3D printing company in the US in the 2019 Deloitte Fast 500.
Quality and reliability are crucial elements to the success of Markforged’s Customers and products. The Supplier Quality Engineer is responsible for the manufacturing quality performance of Markforged’s printers, furnaces, and other systems. This individual will report to the Manufacturing Engineering Manager and build a robust supplier quality program and strategy while executing improvements to the supplier audit and qualification process. The ideal candidate should exhibit exceptional communication and project management skills along with a strong background in engineering and quality. This individual must be self-motivated, able to handle multiple project assignments and is willing to learn and adapt within a fast-paced engineering organization.
In This Role You Will:
- Drive customer success and experience through excellent manufacturing quality of Markforged Hardware
- Development and enhance of supply base performance and capabilities for existing and new products
- Develop and manage a strategic, scalable, and robust supplier quality program that is focused on end-to-end delivered quality of Markforged parts/assemblies
- Conduct on-site quality audits with key suppliers for compliance to regulations, design specifications, standards, and documented processes
- Actively seek out continuous quality improvement opportunities and identify quality risks/gaps
- Issue quarterly supplier scorecards that report on supplier health
- Serve as a focal point for inbound/outbound technical quality communication on all production components
- Support Engineering DFMEA initiatives with collection of KPI data on critical design features
- Assist with qualification of ISO/TS 16949 and develop initiatives for requirements
- Execute and document supplier Non-Conformance (NC) reports, Supplier Corrective Actions (SCARs), and Corrective and Preventive Actions (CAPAs)
- Represent Markforged in a professional manner in all interactions; support the philosophy of the organization to provide high-performing technology to maximize customer satisfaction
- Define Incoming/Outgoing Quality Inspection requirements, Quality Assurance Forms (QAF), Quality Control Plans (QCP)
- Contribute to NPI teams and product launches at CM sites, typically through the following activities: process capability studies, gauge R&R studies, tool calibration / preventative maintenance, in-process inspection protocols, supplier selection, quality control plan, work instruction documentation readiness
- Create Supplier Quality dashboard and report key performance metrics (KPI) to ops/eng leaders and occasionally to senior management
- Drive accountability with internal and external stakeholders on project deliverables related to Supplier Quality and Supplier Health
- Work on dual sourcing and supplier qualification / launch initiatives
- Lead VA/VE activities, Kaizen events, CAPA resolution, and create value stream maps for critical processes
What We Are Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related field of study
- Minimum of three (3) years quality engineering experience (industrial and/or medical is preferred)
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in quality assurance, 8D/6Sigma, ISO and/or QS standards
- Self-starter with ability to design and implement quality systems and best practices
- Six Sigma, 8D/Lean, ISO (IATF 16949) and ASQ certifications highly preferred
- Knowledge and experience with implementing Statistical Process Controls, applying Failure Modes Effects Analysis (FMEA), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), and Root Cause Analysis (RCA) are a plus
- Proficiency in 3D modelling of complex assemblies, detailed engineering drawings, GD&T, and EPDM
- Passion for manufacturing and continuous improvement
- Sharp analytical and mechanical mindset with a desire to apply them toward real-world manufacturing problems
- Skills to analyse, troubleshoot, and resolve production assembly/test problems
- Experience with production best practices such as LEAN, Kaizen, 5S, and Six Sigma
- Experience with ISO Quality Management Systems (aerospace and/or medical robotics) and six-sigma certification a plug
- Strong verbal and written communication skills - can convey complex technical topics in simple terms across internal departments and external partners
- Comfortable with issue escalation when appropriate
- High degree of integrity and uncompromising dedication to uphold Quality standards
- Extremely motivated and organized individual who can be self-directed in both team-based and individual settings
- Works well in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Willingness to travel 30% both domestically and internationally
Help us reinvent manufacturing.
We are reinventing manufacturing so that engineers can build anything they imagine.
We are one team that wins together!
You will be engaging every day with passionate and dedicated individuals in a collaborative environment working towards making best-in-class products.
Perks & Benefits
We offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more.
Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks.
You will have unlimited access to our 3D printers for professional and personal parts!
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.