Materials Scale-Up Intern
Research and Development – Materials
Team & Position Overview
At Markforged, we develop the highest quality materials to support printing stronger, more functional parts. As part of the Materials Team, you will help develop, improve and manufacture high quality engineering grade materials for the Markforged team.
As a Materials Scale-Up Intern you will be active in running production grade equipment including mixers, extruders, and filament winding systems. You will work on ways to optimize the process, and be involved with dialing down parameters for new materials and systems. As part of your work, you will be expected to build and utilize tools to qualify and quantify changes to the system and final products. This position teams up with members of the Materials, R&D, and Operations groups.
Previous Materials Team Interns have designed and produced testing devices, built production and development process equipment, and assisted in troubleshooting in both a research and production environment.
In this role you will:
- The Materials Scale Up Intern will be responsible for assisting in development of extrusion processes and supporting equipment
- Observing and running developmental extrusion line experiments
- Reporting extrusion parameters and outputs
- Defining areas of improvement and executing process and mechanical improvements under supervision of engineers
- Maintaining high level of oral and written communication with Materials team
- Developing SOPs and training operators
- Troubleshooting mechanical disruptions
What we look for:
- Currently pursuing a degree in Plastics, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related at an accredited educational institution
- Mechanical aptitude (machine shop skills, 3D printing experience)
- SolidWorks (or related) experience
- Experience working with polymers (Extrusion, Injection Molding, Casting)
- Strong sense of initiative and desire to understand and solve problems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.