Materials Engineering Manager
Research and Development – Materials
Markforged transforms manufacturing with the most affordable 3D metal and carbon fiber printers capable of producing parts tough enough for the factory floor. Engineers, designers, and manufacturing professionals all over the world rely on Markforged metal and composite printers for tooling, fixtures, functional prototyping, and high-value end-use production. Founded in 2013 and based in Watertown, MA, Markforged has about 300 employees globally, with $137 million in both strategic and venture capital. Markforged was recently recognized by Forbes in the Next Billion-Dollar Startups list and listed as the tenth fastest-growing tech company in the US in the 2018 Deloitte Fast 500. To learn more about Markforged, please visit https://markforged.com.
We are seeking an experienced, detail-oriented and motivated engineering manager to join our growing team. In this position, you will play a key role in the overall success of our engineering organization by planning, managing, and monitoring the materials engineering function for our core product lines - plastic, composite, and metal FDM-style 3D printers. You will be responsible for overseeing various engineering projects, processes, budgets, and timelines and making any necessary adjustments in order to ensure successful completion. It is expected that this role will be about 60% people management and 40% individual contribution initially.
This position reports to the Director of Materials, who is responsible for the overall materials engineering organization within Markforged.
In this role you will:
- Be a passionate and effective people manager who assigns, directs, and evaluates work. Provide technical guidance and facilitates career growth for team members.
- Manage team responsible for the research and development of new materials - plastic, composite, and metal - as determined by the company’s product development plan. Support research for new methods or components to enhance or improve existing products.
- Coordinate and is responsible for activities of materials engineering personnel; develops engineering action plans to guide timely and cost effective development of projects; maintains the system of budget and schedule control.
- Perform administrative functions such as reviewing and writing reports, approving expenditures, enforcing rules, and making decisions about the purchase of materials or services.
- Interface with development teams to help define measures appropriate to assure the quality and reliability of the materials.
- Interface with suppliers and our supply chain organization
- Review engineering change requests; discusses feasibility with product development committee; develops and oversees preparation and implementation of all material engineering change requests.
- Drive effective corrective and preventive actions in response to validation and field/customer failures.
- Assist and coordinate with Manufacturing for development of processes in effectively transitioning new products from engineering to production.
- Develop and implement policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed by the materials group.
- Maintain lessons learned and assure that they are deployed within the appropriate product realization cycle.
- Support Customer Solutions and Application Engineering divisions with orientation and training on new products, and assists in the preparation of the Go-to-Market documentation and other Marketing literature (as necessary).
- Performs other engineering duties as requested by the Director of Materials.
- Take a leadership role on a Markforged committee (e.g. safety, facility, culture).
What we look for:
- Bachelor of Science in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, or Physics. Masters in Engineering Management or business administration is a plus.
- 5+ years management experience (5-10 people) in a fast paced, materials or process engineering areas.
- Excellent leadership skills are necessary to manage and develop a team.
- Organizational competencies and project management skills to keep projects, processes, and the entire engineering team on track.
- Self-motivated attitude with the ability to multitask and thrive in an aggressive timeline-driven environment.
- Interpersonal communication skills with expertise in distilling complicated topics to a broader audience.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects, with a constant quality focus.
- Travel amounting up to 10%, (domestic or international).
- Experience in the 3D printing industry is a plus.
- At Markforged, we have a culture that values learning, data-driven decision making, and prioritization. We learn from failure and are not afraid to keep trying after others have given up. We are a team of talented individuals and are looking to grow with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of improving how the world innovates.
- We offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks.
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.