Controls Systems Engineer
Operations – Manufacturing
At Markforged, we are on a mission to unlock the next 10x of innovation in design and manufacturing. We build an Industrial 3D Printing Platform to liberate designers and engineers from decades-old, slow part creation processes. NASA, Google, Ford, Amazon, Siemens and thousands of companies in 50 countries use Markforged to print same-day prototypes and produce stronger end-use parts than they did before. With Markforged, customers are able to ship 50X faster, spend 20X less, and build products that are 23X stronger.
We are seeking a Controls Systems Engineer with a passion for 3D printing, system design, GUI development and dash boarding, data acquisition and analysis, manufacturing systems, continuous improvement, and working cross-functionally between multiple teams. Having a technical-aptitude, attention to detail, and a creative mind is important for this role. You will be part of a highly collaborative team that manufactures 3D printing consumable filaments.
This is a full time position that will report to the Director of Manufacturing.
In this role you will:
- Utilize Python and SQL to control equipment and data
- Design, specify, install, start up, troubleshoot, and improve process control systems, plant floor systems, business systems, and equipment
- Specify and design control systems to enhance workcell and equipment operation or to solve workcell and equipment problems, including hardware and software
- Manage, coordinate and design or assist in design of control related projects.
- Specification, purchase and maintenance of various systems, computers, networking and/or peripheral equipment
- Design of controls or approval of contractor's design
- Coordination with operators on control design and implementation
- Design control systems and process systems to ensure safe and effective operation
- Stay abreast of technology in control and computer hardware/software to effectively plan for future projects and upgrade of equipment
- Design and maintain operator interface to machine supervisory controls
- Ensure that all proposed changes are documented and controlled using the established change management process
- Ensure adherence to all Health & Safety procedures. Be proactive in the raising of potential H&S issues and the development of personal safety awareness
- Develop and implement process improvements (reliability, waste, product quality, safety, cost) to meet business needs
- Be the first point of contact to troubleshoot electrical and controls systems
What we look for:
- Experienced and familiar with Allen Bradley (preferred) PLC controlled automation in a continuous process or production environment
- Familiarity with Python and SQL programming languages
- Ability to identify, maintain, and utilize SCADA systems to monitor and maintain KPI's
- Extensive knowledge of DCS, PLCs/SISs, HMIs, Microsoft Operating Systems, and/or computer network architecture, HMI integration, and SCADA
- Ability to setup and troubleshoot networked devices as well as integrate them with cloud/enterprise software
- Familiar with Inductive Automation’s Ignition Platform
- Knowledge of Six Sigma, analytical and process improvement techniques
- Has high attention to detail and strong organizational skills, including engineering knowledge capture, transfer, presentation, and dissemination during and after a project completion
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Adapts to change and ambiguity
- Effective team skills and ability to work with all levels of the organization
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment
- A team player who is willing to roll up the sleeves
- Bilingual English & Spanish preferred
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical, Computer or Software Engineering or Computer Science and at least 5 years electrical/software controls manufacturing controls systems development experience is required
- At Markforged, we have a culture that values learning and teaching, data-driven decisions, and makings things work
- We learn from failure and are not afraid to keep trying after others have given up
- We are a team of talented individuals and are looking to grow with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of improving how the world innovates
- We offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more
- Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.