Lead Web Engineer
Technology – Internal Engineering
Full Time, Exempt
Marlette Funding is a consumer financial technology (fintech) business that offers consumers low-rate personal loans up to $50,000 through its Best Egg® brand.
Marlette has experienced tremendous growth since its inception in 2014, with nearly $10B in consumer loans originated. Today, we’ve grown to over 200 employees, enjoy strong employee engagement scores and have been recognized numerous times as a best workplace in the mid-sized and fintech categories.
Lead Web Engineer
Full Time, Direct Hire
At Marlette we believe everybody should have the opportunity to enjoy life. As a fast growing fintech, we are on a mission to help our customers gain easy access to funds and reach their financial goals. Our Best Egg personal loan product has an impeccable record and stands out in the industry with its strong value proposition and overwhelmingly positive customer reviews.
Our software engineering group is made up of product centric, cross-functional, Agile Teams composed of Product Owners, Product Managers, Scrum Masters, Software Developers and Automation Engineers. Our tech culture embraces the concepts of Continuous Delivery, Total Quality Management, Knowledge Sharing, Personal and Career Advancement, Empowerment, Innovation, and Collective Ownership. We encourage new technology, out of the box thinking, casual dress and the occasional game of ping pong.
You are a good fit for this role if you have a few years of strong, core web development experience and demonstrate leadership skills. In this role you will lead a team of Associate Software developers by daily contributing leadership and technical expertise to achieve shared objectives. Your voice is heard in this role as we will look to you to influence yours and adjacent teams on occasion by identifying opportunities and proposing solutions.
Marlette will trust you for the timeliness and quality of the engineering products produced within their assigned product team. To be successful in this role you should be able to recognize Minimum Viable Product (MVP) features sets, risks, and dependencies and recommend iterative delivery packages to maximize business value and minimize time to market. Additionally, you will be accountable for executing development activities aligned with agreed development and quality control standards as well as guiding your team in this behavior.
Additionally, as the Lead Web Engineer you will:
· Develop and deliver software iteratively and incrementally
· Perform Unit Test, Integration Tests, and implement supporting testing utilities
· Interpret, confirm, and/or challenge business requirements and document technical requirements
· Explain and discuss the importance of good software design and the pros and cons of best practices such as styling, documentation, refactoring, test driven design, and pair programming with the broader team
· Lead the development team through continuous improvement activities
· Provide peer/mentor support for Development staff
· Participate in group knowledge sharing as both a consumer and supplier of knowledge
· Ensure production of technical documentation and supporting processes as solutions are delivered.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology, Mathematics, or equivalent work experience
· 2+ years of enterprise web development experience
· 2+ years working as a lead or senior developer within a team of developers
· Basic understanding and querying knowledge for relational database is a must.(No SQL like MongoDB is a plus).
· Clear understanding and experience is building web container with needed configuration to stand up a website.
· Should have good skills with HTML5 and CSS or LESS framework with good exposure in building UI/UX design templates.
· Building restful service using java spring boot is a plus.
· Ability to create high-level design documents, sample screen images, workflow diagrams, and lead stakeholders through white-board design discussions
· Proven track record of innovation, clever problem solving, and high-quality rapid delivery
· Exposure to and understanding of Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, and Test Automation constructs and procedures.
· Comfortable interacting and engaging with colleagues from all levels of management across all business units and third party development firms.
· Demonstrated technical leadership skills including self-direction, coaching and mentoring, leading change through tooling or practices
· Previous experience leading Associate-level Developers OR demonstration of effective leadership characteristics
· High self-efficacy, highly motivated, well organized, capable of developing and executing a sprint plan, and able to communicate status effectively
· Passionate about reducing manual and repetitive work when designing and building tools used by internal colleagues
· Advocate and practitioner of Agile methodologies (XP, Scrum, Kanban, Lean, Continuous Improvement, Pair Programming)
· Ability to succeed within a cross-functional team emphasizing Collective Ownership in a fast-paced environment
· Be confident and willing to challenge status quo but also willing to concede and execute other’s ideas when necessary
· Capable of teaching and learning from others to promote continuity of knowledge and personal development
· Ability to work effectively independently and as a team member
· Excellent English written and verbal communication skills
Thanks so much for your interest in joining our family!
Qualified applicants will be contacted within a few days to start conversations.
Looking for a way to stand out and be considered first?
Send a follow up email to Talent Acquisition: firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and position of interest in the subject. In the email please include: Your resume attachment and a brief introduction highlighting what about this role stood out to you the most.
Marlette celebrates diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better we will grow.
Recruiting Agencies: We appreciate what you do and understand how challenging it can be, however please do not send us unsolicited resumes or cold outreach to our employees, job listings or recruiting team. If you are interested in helping us, you can apply HERE