Senior Business Affairs Manager
Richmond, VA /
ICP/Business Affairs – Business Affairs /
WE ARE/ Business Affairs. A small, close-knit team that manages talent, music, third-party licensing, and legal clearances across all clients. We are partners to production, account leadership, and creative, always striving to keep the work impactful — and legal.
We are partners to production, account leadership, and creative, always striving to keep the work impactful — and legal.
We are problem solvers and collaborators. We don’t like to use the word “no,” and we work hard to find creative solutions as problems present themselves. We share our knowledge and experiences and encourage growth and learning.
We’re a nimble group because we must be, as deadlines shift, and requests come in at the speed of culture. Our nimbleness is matched by our attention to detail; with the number of projects we work on every day, we pride ourselves on our accuracy and organization.
This role will report directly into the director of business, legal and financial affairs.
Make you wanna join the fight? Read on for more detail.
YOU ARE/ Someone who is a good mix of curious, driven, responsible, and accountable, and believes in delivering quality work. The kind of person people can trust who can work professionally with highly sensitive and confidential information. A strong communicator (both written and conversationally), collaborator and negotiator — we work with cross-functional teams and clients. A multitasker and nimble worker by nature — we move at the pace of culture and no day is the same as the last, but we do have some agency guardrails to respect.
- Get the opportunity to work as a partner to our clients and internal teams.
- Be responsible for your account base, and will continuously strive to push the boundaries of the work to impact culture and fight invisibility.
- Work across departments to understand their needs and tap into your many skills to help support them.
- Get to build lasting relationships with some of the most influential players in the agency like producers, creatives, and account leadership.
- Partner with producers to create talent session estimates for each production, and you'll discuss media plans with the account team to draft, maintain and actualize residual estimates.
- Work with both union and non-union talent, negotiating, preparing and processing contracts for scale and celebrity talent.
- Keep the account team aware of upcoming holding fees and ending use cycles, and work with payroll vendors such as Extreme Reach and TEAM to ensure that talent are paid residuals in a timely manner.
- Research, negotiate, license music, and clear third-party property rights. This will all fall under your purview as you get creative over the finish line.
- Act as a liaison between the agency and IPG legal, navigating script reviews, assessing risks, conducting trademark searches and supervising network clearance.
- Communicate potential risks with both production and account teams and be able to provide strong solutions and workarounds.
- Own important relationships with the Screen Actors Guild (SAG-AFTRA) and the Joint Policy Committee (JPC), ensuring that we are mitigating risk of any union claims.
- Have the opportunity to work on activations and non-traditional productions, learning new ways to approach situations, and simultaneously creating headline-worthy work and keeping the agency and client safe and legally compliant.
- Demonstrated experience in the talent management, contract negotiation, and production space (4+ years is a good marker)
- A strong knowledge of the SAG-AFTRA and AFM contracts
- Vast experience in celebrity negotiations and music licensing
- Experience in both traditional productions and nontraditional activations and social media
- A passion for problem solving and team work
- Comfortability with managing large amounts of numbers and documents at a time
IS THIS ROLE NOT QUITE A MATCH?
Does this role pique your interest but feel a lil' out of reach, or misaligned with your unique experience? Still reach out! Your story might capture our attention.
HOW WE MAKE SPACE
The Martin Agency is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We are committed to creating a place of belonging — a space where employees do not need to sacrifice who they are to exist and grow in our workplace. The Martin Agency does not discriminate on any unlawful basis including race, religion, color, national origin, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by law.