Backend Software Engineer
United States, Remote /
Engineering – Software /
Mason is the only fully managed infrastructure for developing and delivering dedicated devices. We make it easy for anyone to turn an idea into a smart product and ship it to anywhere in the world. Our mission is to enable our customers to create smart and sustainable products on behalf of humanity.
We're looking for the right person to join our close-knit team and help take our foundational product and business to the next level. Mason's core product is mobile infrastructure as a service ("mobile IaaS") -- think elastic, customizable hardware + software + services.
This role is for a backend-focused engineer on our core services team to help evolve the critical infrastructure powering the Mason Platform. This team owns the cloud stack for our Mobile IaaS platform including the machinery for over-the-air updates of device firmware, the gateway powering our mobile CI/CD APIs, connectivity services, messaging infrastructure, and much more. As a backend engineer, you are comfortable and enthusiastic about diving into backend code, infrastructure, CI/CD systems, scale, performance, and all cloudy things.
Mason is looking for a complex combination of grit, smarts, ingenuity and diverse perspectives (and more!). Check out our values and see if they resonate!
What you’ll work on:
- Architect new web services to spec, build or enhance data models, work with distributed storage, expand our eventing and messaging, and ensure the system can handle scale and reliability
- Design and implement data storage architecture and searchability for large scale event ingestion and querying
- Build APIs to enhance both the internal and external functionality available via the Mason Platform
- Help establish and evangelize best practices for backend development, architecture, patterns and practices
- Introduce or build tools, patterns and practices to accelerate backend development
- Interact with product managers to develop and clarify requirements, and ensure features are built to spec
- Write design one-pagers, drive and participate in design reviews, perform peer code reviews
- Mentor junior developers and lead by example
- Build and maintain test automation where appropriate
- Write public-facing documentation for new features and APIs for customers
- Nurture a culture of always be shipping
What you bring to the table:
- 3-5 years of professional software development
- Solid understanding of at least one backend-oriented programming language, and possibly a related web services stack
- Prior experience going through the full-service development lifecycle and shipping web services at reasonable scale
- Experience writing and automating tests
- Applicants must be authorized to work for ANY employer in the US. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visa at this time
Bonus points for:
- Experience with Golang, Kubernetes and/or Docker
- Experience in startups
- Experience delivering software on AWS
• Remote-friendly: Employees may choose to work fully remote, in-office, or hybrid.
• Healthcare: Comprehensive medical, vision, and dental insurance for employees and their dependents (Employees are responsible for only 1% of premiums for dental and vision)
• Fitness & Wellness: Quarterly reimbursement for qualified fitness and wellness expenses.
• Food: Catered lunch or delivery gift cards to keep you nourished while working.
• Generous PTO & Sick Leave: We want you to take care of yourself with a flexible PTO plan or generous accrued PTO and added monthly mental health days during the pandemic.
• Parental Leave: Caring for a new child is an exciting time for parents! We offer 16 weeks of paid parental leave.
• Full benefits are offered to full-time employees. Part-time employees participate on a limited basis.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Mason: Belonging, psychological safety, and inclusivity unlock a Mason’s full potential. We don’t want Masons to quietly assimilate into a dominant culture and sacrifice a piece of themselves. We want our team members to be seen, validated, and welcomed.
Mason America, Inc. (the “Company”) is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the Company. Please inform the Company’s personnel representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.