Backend Software Engineer
Seattle, WA /
Engineering – Software /
Mason is transforming mobile deployments the same way AWS transformed website development, making it easy for anyone to turn an idea into a smart product and ship it to anywhere in the world. Our mission is to create a beautifully efficient world connected by billions of devices to work on behalf of humanity.
We're looking for the right person to join our close-knit team and help take our foundational product and business to the next level. Mason's core product is mobile infrastructure as a service ("mobile IaaS") -- think elastic, customizable hardware + software + services.
This role is for a backend-focused engineer on our core services team to help evolve the critical infrastructure powering the Mason Platform. This team owns the cloud stack for our Mobile IaaS platform including the machinery for over-the-air updates of device firmware, the gateway powering our mobile CI/CD APIs, connectivity services, messaging infrastructure, and much more. As a backend engineer, you are comfortable and enthusiastic about diving into backend code, infrastructure, CI/CD systems, scale, performance, and all cloudy things.
Mason is looking for a complex combination of grit, smarts, ingenuity and diverse perspectives (and more!)Check out our values and see if they resonate!
What you’ll work on:
- Architect new web services to spec, build or enhance data models, work with distributed storage, expand our eventing and messaging, and ensure the system can handle scale and reliability
- Design and implement data storage architecture and searchability for large scale event ingestion and querying
- Build APIs to enhance both the internal and external functionality available via the Mason Platform
- Help establish and evangelize best practices for backend development, architecture, patterns and practices
- Introduce or build tools, patterns and practices to accelerate backend development
- Interact with product managers to develop and clarify requirements, and ensure features are built to spec
- Write design one-pagers, drive and participate in design reviews, perform peer code reviews
- Mentor junior developers and lead by example
- Build and maintain test automation where appropriate
- Write public-facing documentation for new features and APIs for customers
- Nurture a culture of always be shipping
What you bring to the table:
- 4+ years of professional software development
- Experience delivering software on AWS
- Solid understanding of at least one backend-oriented programming language, and possibly a related web services stack
- Prior experience going through the full service development lifecycle and shipping web services at reasonable scale
- Experience writing and automating tests
- A college degree with relevant coursework in computer science, or equivalent professional experience
Bonus points for:
- Experience with Golang, Kubernetes and/or Docker
- Experience in startups
- Healthcare: Full healthcare benefits for Mason employees with competitive vision, dental, and medical insurance
- Transportation: Monthly reimbursement for your commuter needs to get to and from work
- Fitness & wellness: Monthly reimbursement for fitness classes or gym memberships
- Generous PTO & sick leave: We want you to take care of yourself with a minimum of 24 PTO days, including paid company holidays
- Parental leave: Caring for a newborn is an exciting time for parents! We offer four months of paid parental leave
- Dog-friendly office: Mason pups are welcome in the office 3x per week
- And more!
Mason America, Inc. (the “Company”) is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the Company. Please inform the Company’s personnel representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.