Senior Software Engineer, Android OS
United States, Remote /
Engineering – Software /
Mason is the only fully managed infrastructure for developing and delivering dedicated devices. We make it easy for anyone to turn an idea into a smart product and ship it to anywhere in the world. Our mission is to enable our customers to create smart and sustainable products on behalf of humanity.
Come build an infrastructure company from scratch!
Mason is looking for a Software Engineer on our Devices team to help build a scalable, customizable, and secure Android-based OS (Mason OS) for our handheld, tablet, and wearable devices. As an engineer on the Devices team at Mason, you’ll have the opportunity to contribute to several critical systems including: OS customization, device provisioning, over-the-air (OTA) updates, remote device management, and much more. This role is critical in building and supporting the foundation our customers use for many use cases: from digitizing clinical trials to improving warehouse efficiency to streamlining retail payments and more. Mason's core product is mobile infrastructure as a service ("mobile IaaS") — think elastic, customizable hardware + software + services.
Mason is looking for a complex combination of grit, smarts, ingenuity and diverse perspectives (and more!). Check out our values and see if they resonate!
What you’ll work on:
- Building configurable features at the app, framework, and kernel level in Mason OS to enable our customers to create their own unique products at scale
- Building and hardening Mason OS applications and services that enable features such as: provisioning, over-the-air (OTA) updates, diagnostics, and more
- Bringing up Mason OS on new devices and form factors
- Improving how we build, test, and deliver Mason OS updates
- Working closely with backend (Fleet) engineers and product managers to design and integrate with Mason Platform APIs
What you bring to the table:
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field
- 6+ years of software development experience
- Experience with one or more of the following programming languages: Java/Kotlin, C/C++, Python
- Hands-on experience with Android (AOSP) at the framework, system services, HAL, and kernel layers
- Android application development experience
Bonus points for:
- Experience bringing up Android on a new device
- Experience building CI/CD pipelines
- Experience in embedded systems development.
- Experience with Qualcomm-based devices and technologies
• Remote-friendly: Employees may choose to work fully remote, in-office, or hybrid.
• Healthcare: Comprehensive medical, vision, and dental insurance for employees and their dependents (Employees are responsible for only 1% of premiums for dental and vision)
• Fitness & Wellness: Quarterly reimbursement for qualified fitness and wellness expenses.
• Food: Catered lunch or delivery gift cards to keep you nourished while working.
• Generous PTO & Sick Leave: We want you to take care of yourself with a flexible PTO plan or generous accrued PTO and added monthly mental health days during the pandemic.
• Parental Leave: Caring for a new child is an exciting time for parents! We offer 16 weeks of paid parental leave.
• Full benefits are offered to full-time employees. Part-time employees participate on a limited basis.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Mason: Belonging, psychological safety, and inclusivity unlock a Mason’s full potential. We don’t want Masons to quietly assimilate into a dominant culture and sacrifice a piece of themselves. We want our team members to be seen, validated, and welcomed.
Mason America, Inc. (the “Company”) is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the Company. Please inform the Company’s personnel representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.