Generalist Software Engineer - Devices
Seattle, WA /
Engineering – Software /
Mason is transforming mobile deployments the same way AWS transformed website development, making it easy for anyone to turn an idea into a smart product and ship it to anywhere in the world. Our mission is to create a beautifully efficient world connected by billions of devices to work on behalf of humanity.
We're looking for the right person to join our close-knit team and help take our foundational product and business to the next level. Mason's core product is mobile infrastructure as a service ("mobile IaaS") -- think elastic, customizable hardware + software + services.
This role is for a generalist engineer to join our core devices team to help evolve the critical infrastructure powering the Mason Platform. This team owns the underlying machinery that enables our highly configurable enterprise-oriented mobile OS (“Mason OS”), the evolution of the OS itself, all things Android, new device integration, and much more. As a generalist engineer, you are comfortable and enthusiastic about diving into code at any layer of the stack to get the job done. This may involve scripting and/or development work in Python, Android/gradle, Jenkins, and git, among other things.
Mason is looking for a complex combination of grit, smarts, ingenuity and diverse perspectives (and more!)Check out our values and see if they resonate!
What you’ll work on:
- Build lots of automation! One of the core tenets of the team is to make ourselves faster and more efficient; this may look like scripting/CLI work in Python, automation via Jenkins, OS source code and release management, end to end test automation, among other initiatives
- Implement end-to-end on-device functionality that works seamlessly across a variety of devices
- Enhance automation within our core OS customization pipeline
- Build or modify Android system apps or framework code driving our platform's core functionality
- Write, maintain, automate and document SDKs for customers
- Interact with product managers to develop and clarify customer requirements, and ensure features are built to spec
- Write design one-pagers, drive and participate in design reviews, perform peer code reviews
- Participate in the culture of always be shipping
What you bring to the table:
- 2+ years of professional software development
- Solid understanding of at least one programming language, ideally one of Python, Java or Kotlin
- Experience writing and automating tests
- A college degree with relevant coursework in computer science, or equivalent professional experience
Bonus points for:
- Experience working with Android OS (AOSP) source code in any shape or form
- Experience delivering software on AWS with Kubernetes and/or Docker
- Experience with building CI/CD or build pipelines
- Experience with Golang
- git wizardry
- Experience in startups
- Healthcare: Full healthcare benefits for Mason employees with competitive vision, dental, and medical insurance
- Transportation: Monthly reimbursement for your commuter needs to get to and from work
- Fitness & wellness: Monthly reimbursement for fitness classes or gym memberships
- Generous PTO & sick leave: We want you to take care of yourself with a minimum of 24 PTO days, including paid company holidays
- Parental leave: Caring for a newborn is an exciting time for parents! We offer four months of paid parental leave
- Dog-friendly office: Mason pups are welcome in the office 3x per week
- And more!
Mason America, Inc. (the “Company”) is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the Company. Please inform the Company’s personnel representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.