Senior Full-Stack Engineer (Chicago, IL)
Mastery Logistics Systems is building the world’s first lovable Transportation Management System, or TMS.
Our customers – large transportation companies and shippers who need those companies – have struggled with systems that are at best outdated and at worst simply inadequate. They are forced to either use multiple systems to manage truckload brokerage, dedicated fleet operations, outsourced or insourced trans management, one way trucking, LTL, and Intermodal, or to sub-optimize one or more of those functions by attempting to fit it into a TMS that is adequate at another function.
MasteryTMS allows our customers to bring all of these functions into a single platform, providing unprecedented flexibility, visibility, control, and efficiency.
The problems in this industry are big and exciting! We are tackling everything from fast and efficient data input to ingesting large amounts of data and applying AI to looking at blockchain to securely digitize paperwork. If you are passionate about humanizing an industry, automating in innovative ways, building for quality and scale, helping make people's lives easier, touching every part of our economy or all of the above then this is the place for you.
Mastery Logistics Systems is committed to providing a great, inclusive working environment by challenging our team members while being respectful of their time and personal life. That’s why we encourage time exploring innovative ideas alongside more standard daily tasks. We have a flexible work week, excellent benefits and amazing humans working to build our company.
Our team has the domain knowledge and connections to make an impact, and we’re looking for experienced and thoughtful people to help. We need people who are flexible problem solvers, collaborate consistently and know how to communicate their solutions well. We are small and nimble, and each member of the team can make a tremendous impact both technically and culturally. While a start-up, we are well-funded, have an initial paying customer with which to test and launch, and are founded by top experts and veterans in the logistics industry. Join us and help make something great.
About the Role
The transportation industry has no shortage of complex problems requiring creative solutions to scale efficiently. In this role, you will collaborate with a small team to understand user and market needs, participate in architectural design, and build distributed systems to facilitate our web-based platform.
- Collaborate with the Product Manager and other developers to design and build a real-time, web-based system for freight management, including React UI, Rails API and other microservices.
- Ensure interfaces function quickly and beautifully across devices
- Build API’s for web and mobile clients
- Write clean, maintainable, and well-tested code
- Engage in the full development life-cycle including architectural design and testing
- Be a force-multiplier on the velocity and quality of your team
- Stay current on software engineering trends & tools, and be practical but open-minded in applying them
- Maintain a high bar for quality and performance of your product with vigorous attention to detail and automated testing
- Continuously improve how we design, build, and ship software as a highly functional team
- Practical experience in software development, including designing, building, deploying, and maintaining web applications
- Experience with React or similar frameworks
- Experience with Rails or similar frameworks
- Experience working with RESTful APIs and SaaS application development
- Experience with GraphQL a plus
- Ability to understand complicated problems and craft into simple solutions that can be maintained by the rest of the team
- Ability to train and mentor junior engineers
- Experience with SQL and RDBMS
- Experience NoSQL technologies a plus
- Experience in cloud infrastructure preferred (AWS, Azure, GCP, Heroku etc) a plus
- Strong communication skills
- Compassion and empathy
- Competitive pay
- Flexible work schedules
- Unlimited PTO
- Collaborative and casual work environment
- One Friday per month for all-employee company meetings
- Pay transparency and focus on inclusion and diversity
- $2,000 annual training budget for opportunities for professional growth.
- Comprehensive benefit package including Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage - Mastery covers 90% of premium costs.
- Company paid life insurance for 1x salary
- Legal, Accident, Additional Life and other options
- Mastery's philanthropic partner is St Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Mastery is honored to support St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital by donating 5% of our profits.
Women, non-binary people and those with marginalized genders, people of color, LGBTQIA+ folks, veterans, differently-abled people, and other under-represented candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.