Senior UI Designer (Chicago, IL)
Mastery Logistics Systems is reimagining the technology that moves goods from one place to another. We are building an intuitive, efficient, comprehensive solution that brings cutting edge technology, the power of data and AI, and user experience to the forefront. For those that know the jargon and the logistics industry, we are building the next generation of technologies to allow large brokers, 3PL’s, and shippers to benefit from the progress of technology and connectivity. Our initial offering - a TMS built for freight brokerages - targets large, distributed brokerages and 3PL’s, with follow-on shipper TMS available in the future. If you don’t know the industry (yet!), that’s cool – we want your voice and perspective to help us break out of established patterns and truly innovate.
The problems in this industry are big and exciting! There’s also a lot of low hanging fruit where other industries and types of applications have found solid solutions. We are tackling everything from fast and efficient data input (Natural Language Processing? Voice? Better forms?) to ingesting large amounts of data and applying AI to looking at blockchain to securely digitize paperwork. If you are passionate about humanizing an industry, automating in innovative ways, building for quality and scale, helping make people's lives easier, touching every part of our economy or all of the above then this is the place for you.
Mastery Logistics Systems is committed to providing a great, inclusive working environment by challenging our team members while being respectful of your time and the needs of your personal life. That’s why we encourage time exploring innovative ideas alongside more standard daily tasks. We have a 4-day work week (with 1 Friday a month reserved for company meetings) and require employees to schedule at least one week off every four months.
Our team has the domain knowledge and connections to make an impact, and we’re looking for experienced and thoughtful people to help. We need people who are flexible problem solvers, collaborate consistently and know how to communicate their solutions well. We are small and nimble, and each member of the team can make a tremendous impact both technically and culturally. While a start-up, we are well-funded, have an initial paying customer with which to test and launch, and are founded by top experts and veterans in the logistics industry. Join us and help make something great.
About the Role
In this role, you will collaborate with a small team to understand user and market needs, participate in user testing, and design usable interfaces for our responsive web application.
We are looking for candidates in Chicago, Lake Forest, and Champaign, IL or full-time remote.
- Collaborate with design, engineering, and product management teams to translate user needs into interface mockups
- Help define the design and product process and strategy
- Refine and improve existing platform user interface patterns
- Maintain a visual style guide and UI pattern library
- Help refine and extend visual expression of our brand
- Help implement designs using HTML, CSS, and other relevant front-end web frameworks
- Practical experience designing interfaces for web applications
- Experience designing and testing responsive interfaces
- Strong understanding of visual design fundamentals: layout, typography, color, composition, etc
- Strong ability to communicate design challenges and decisions, both visually and in conversation
- Experience working in small teams with a great deal of autonomy
- Strong communication skills and appreciation for compassion and empathy
- Competitive pay along with bonuses and meaningful equity
- Flexible schedule with focus on efficient work and collaboration
- 4 day work week (M-Th)
- 1 Friday per month for all-hands and company meetings
- Full or part-time remote
- Unlimited vacation and personal days with minimum of 1 week off every four months
- Pay transparency and focus on inclusion
- $2,000 annual training budget and support for speaking at conferences
- Wide range of health insurance options: trans inclusive, company pays 90%, strong out-of-network coverage
- Dental options that include orthodontia
- Vision insurance
- Company paid life insurance for 1x salary
- Legal, Accident, Additional Life and other add-on options
- 10% of work time can be spent on projects and idea exploration other than core project
- 10% of our profits to be shared between the St Jude Children’s Research Hospital and the Chicago Children’s Hospital
Women, non-binary people and those with marginalized genders, people of color, LGBTQIA+ folks, veterans, differently-abled people, and other under-represented candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.