(PA) Elementary Guest Teacher (Full-Time) - 2020/2021 School Year
Philadelphia, PA /
Elementary School – Grade 3-5 /
Full-Time 2020-21 School Year
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,000 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our building can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
This role is eligible for up to $1,000 in bonuses!
Mastery Charter Schools is seeking full-time elementary (K-6) guest teachers. Guest teachers will be assigned to a Mastery campus and support with daily class coverage, long-term leave coverage, co-teaching, and small group instruction. Guest teachers will be part of a one team effort to help our young students succeed. Guest teachers will be responsible for implementing Mastery’s curriculum and utilizing classroom routines and procedures with consistency. During extended coverages, guest teachers will also be responsible for developing lesson plans, homework assignments and assessments. Guest teachers will collaborate in grade level teams to discuss student work, share best practices, and ensure student mastery of standards. Guest teachers will be expected to form and maintain relationships with students’ families, including phone calls and conferences, and will participate in on-going professional development in the spirit of continuous improvement. Mastery is looking for instructors committed to teamwork and high expectations for all students. The ideal candidate will have classroom teaching experience, preferably within an urban school setting.
- Bachelor’s degree required with a record of personal, professional, and/or academic achievement
- Pennsylvania teacher certification - completed or in process
- Demonstrated expertise in subject area
- Commitment to and experience working with underserved communities
- Determination to drive student achievement and set high expectations for all students
- The ability to motivate, support, and challenge students in a student-centered, standards-driven classroom community
- A positive mindset and a drive for personal excellence
- Solutions-oriented resiliency to respond positively and effectively to challenges
- Outstanding instructional skills driven by data and delivered through rigorous and engaging strategies