(PA) Temporary Clinician - 7th-12th Grade - 2020/2021 School Year
Philadelphia, PA /
High School – Specialized Services /
Full-Time 2020-21 School Year
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,000 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our building can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
The clinician is committed to supporting students with emotional disabilities and other health impairments through individual and group counseling sessions, skills development, and case management.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead individual counseling sessions with students based on their Individualized Education Plan.
- Plan and facilitate social and emotional skill acquisition class.
- Facilitate small therapeutic groups.
- Develop and monitor social, emotional, and behavior IEP goals.
- Ability to teach and reinforce appropriate positive behaviors in a classroom and counseling setting.
- Ability to connect a student in crisis with outside resources when appropriate.
- Ability to collaborate with general and special education teachers to develop Functional Behavioral Assessments and implement Positive Behavior Supports for student with emotional support needs.
- Provide coaching to general and special education teachers to effectively implement the positive behavioral support interventions.
- Ability to work as a team member to support the Emotional Support programming.
- Effective communication with families of students with emotional disabilities.
- Effective communication with outside service providers.
- Completing other identified tasks
- Individual and group therapy experience.
- Experience working with students with disabilities in an educational setting.
- Successful experience working with student with Emotional Support needs (preferred).
- Experience leading a class and implementing effective classroom management strategies (preferred).
- Detail-oriented and committed to collecting specified data to support student programming.
- Experience with functional behavioral assessments, and the development / implementation of positive behavioral support plans (preferred).
- Maintain strong clinical documentation.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work well as a member of a classroom and school team.
- Results-oriented individual – a flexible thinker willing to do “whatever it takes.”
- Belief in the Mastery Charter School mission and instructional model.
Education and Experience:
- Masters of Social Work, Masters of Counseling, or other closely related fields required.
- PA Licensure as a LSW, LCSW, LPC highly preferred.
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as maneuvering in classrooms and physically supporting students in the classroom; Standing, walking, sitting for long periods of time, speak loudly and clearly, seeing and hearing things both near and far away, stooping, kneeling, fine finger and hand manipulation in use of a computer, chalkboard, dry erase board or projector.