(PA) Family Learning Assistant (Part-Time) - 2020/2021
Philadelphia, PA /
School Leadership and Support – Culture /
Full-Time 2020-21 School Year
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,000 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our building can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
The Family Learning Assistant shows an unwavering commitment to student achievement to improve the knowledge, skills, and lives of students. Their role is to directly support students and families who are struggling with remote learning. They will work directly with students and families in their homes and in the community to ensure all students are able to consistently access online learning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Visit the homes of students and families who need 1:1 support to access online learning
- Support students and parents with the technology required for remote learning, including Schoology, Zoom, Clever, Zearn, Lexia, IReady, and Amira
- Creatively solve access issues for individual families
- Support and motivate students and families to engage in online learning
- Work collaboratively in a non-traditional, urban environment
- Participate in relevant professional development
- Track progress & report daily and/or weekly on goals, strategies and outcomes
- Strong communication skills and the ability to build interpersonal relationships
- Ability to motivate students to engage in remote learning
- Strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Belief that all students should be held to high academic standards
- Demonstrated professionalism and responsibility, and a strong work ethic
- A positive, high-energy attitude and a drive for personal excellence
- Ability to problem-solve and a sense of humor are required
- Ability to travel around Smedley’s catchment neighborhood
Education and Experience:
- GED or High School Diploma
- At least two years of experience in a service profession or other full or part time role
- Experience working with families and children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as traveling to network campuses and maneuvering in office space-reaching file cabinets, filing, faxing, coping, typing, mailing, and making phone calls; Must be able to sit for up to four (4) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard and mouse and typing.
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
UPDATE AS OF MARCH 2021 - Please review Mastery’s Back to School Plans here to learn about our response to COVID-19 for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.