Principal - 2023-2024 School Year
Philadelphia, PA /
School Leadership and Support – Principal /
Full-Time 2023-24 School Year
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,500 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our buildings can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
This role is eligible for up to $10,000 in bonuses! Positions available in both Philadelphia and Camden!
New-to-Mastery Principals can expect a starting annual salary of between $142,000-$160,000 based on years’ experience and level of education.
Mastery Charter Schools is currently seeking dynamic and passionate Principals to lead our urban school turn-around effort in Philadelphia. Principals oversee school performance and operations, making structural, budgetary and personnel decisions that promote the vision and instructional best practices of Mastery Charter Schools. As a member of the senior team, the Principal will play a pivotal role in leading a high-performing community of teachers and administrators and in enhancing a participatory, student-centered and rigorously outcomes-driven culture.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive and support implementation of Mastery Charter Schools’ vision and guiding principles to ensure a positive, achievement-focused school culture among teachers, staff and students
- Lead, supervise, and develop a high-functioning team of educators and operations personnel who are focused on driving superior academic performance and fostering personal responsibility, including a student support team, an operations team and 4 Assistant Principals
- Supervise instructional methods, evaluate lesson plans and coach teachers to ensure effective instructional strategies
- Engage parents and other community members in school and extracurricular activities to engender a neighborhood-centered approach to learning and development
- Create, manage, and evaluate operational processes to ensure consistency with the school’s values and goals
- Maintain compliance with state and federal regulations for education standards/requirements
- Ensure effective collection and analysis of student performance data to identify struggling students, curriculum shortfalls, and teacher quality issues
- Superior grasp of effective instructional and behavioral methods and strategies for educating urban youth
- Strong process, people, and project management skills with the proven ability to train, supervise and coach professional staff in order to foster a cooperative team environment
- Intellectual agility, a commitment to maintaining rigorous standards, and a demonstrated ability to think strategically and execute on multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and rapidly-changing environment
- Ability to leverage computer software programs and other technology that will support the learning environment
- Understanding of public education and charter schools is desirable
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree or Doctorate in Education Administration or related field; Must have or be working toward Pennsylvania or New Jersey Principal certification
- 3-5 years of demonstrating classroom experience, preferably within an urban school setting
- 2+ years of demonstrated success supervising or leading a team of educators
- Prior experience working within a corporate, entrepreneurial or start-up environment also a plus
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as maneuvering in classrooms and office space-reaching file cabinets, filing, faxing, scanning, coping, typing, mailing, and making phone calls; Must be able to sit for up to two (2) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard and mouse and typing.
Mastery's Benefits Package:
We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth. Some of our most popular benefits include our 403(b) retirement plan for PA employees (with a 5% match from Mastery), enrollment in the State of New Jersey Pension Plan for NJ employees, a robust Employee Assistance Program, mental health and counseling programs, an annual Professional Development Fund, and discounts and perks at a myriad of retailers, travel organizations, insurance providers, and so much more, as well as a Benefits VIP Helpdesk to help you navigate various benefits-related topics!
Mastery's Annual Calendar:
As you plan to make Mastery your new work home, please feel free to review our PA Academic Calendar for SY 22/23 and our NJ Academic Calendar for SY 22/23. We like to think our calendar is a benefit of working here too!
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
UPDATE AS OF January 2023 - Please review Mastery’s Health and Safety Plans here to learn about our approach to vaccination and testing as well as our response to COVID-19. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.