Special Education Lead Case Manager - 2021/2022 School Year
Philadelphia, PA /
School Leadership and Support – Specialized Services /
Full-Time 2021-22 School Year
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,000 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our building can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
This role is eligible for up to $8,000 in bonuses! Positions available in both Philadelphia and Camden!
The Special Education Lead Case Manager ensures that the students receiving special education services and Section 504 accommodations achieve academic success, across all subjects, as measured by achievement of IEP goals, benchmark assessments and grades, and state exams. In year one, the Lead Case Manager reports to the Assistant Principal of Specialized Services and will likely transition to reporting to the Principal in subsequent years.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive student achievement for students receiving special education services
- Monitor and respond to student grades and progress monitoring results.
- Responsible for ensuring school is in compliance with all state and federal law governing special education compliance
- Develop effective IEPs and Section 504 Service Agreements that translate into measurable results for students
- Develop Functional Behavior Assessments (FBAs)
- Develop, implement, and monitor Positive Behavior Support Plans (PBSPs)
- Ensure special education documents are implemented with fidelity across all settings
- Mentor and coach students on self-regulation and organization skills.
- Provide ongoing communication with teachers and administrators that strengthens the support systems for students receiving special education services.
- Chair manifestation determinations meetings and write all required documents
- Lead SAP/CSAP team
- Serve as an active member of the School Culture Team in supporting students receiving special education services.
- Manage members of the Special Education Team
- Manage relationship with related service partners (Psychologist, Speech, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist) and therapeutic support staff (TSS, STS, BSC)
- Strong knowledge of instructional strategies for students with disabilities.
- Familiar with best practices in working with students with social-emotional needs
- Strong knowledge of PA/NJ special education regulations and compliance policies/procedures
- Belief in the Mastery Charter School mission and instructional model.
- A ferocious desire to provide our students with a world class education.
- Results-oriented individual – a flexible thinker willing to do “whatever it takes.”
- The ideal candidate:
- Is detail-oriented and highly organized with strong analytical writing skills.
- Has experienced a high level of measurable success working with urban youth.
- Has knowledge of PA Academic Standards
- Is familiar with functional behavioral assessments and manifestation determinations
- Has zest and a sense of humor.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Special Education preferred
- 3 or more years working with special education students
- Certification as Special Education Teacher, Supervisor of Special Education, or Principal’s Certification
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as maneuvering in classrooms and office space-reaching file cabinets, filing, faxing, scanning, coping, typing, mailing, and making phone calls; Must be able to sit for up to two (2) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard and mouse and typing.
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
UPDATE AS OF MARCH 2021 - Please review Mastery’s Back to School Plans here to learn about our response to COVID-19 for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.