Building Engineer - 2022/2023 School Year
Philadelphia, PA /
School Leadership and Support – Operations /
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,500 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our buildings can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
This role is eligible for a $1,000 signing bonus!
The Building Engineer will perform preventive and routine maintenance and repairs on buildings and systems; including but not limited to HVAC, electrical, plumbing, carpentry and general building repairs ,furniture moves , life safety and associated systems and other duties as assigned. The Building Engineer will work closely with the Operations Director to ensure the reliable operation of building systems, physical appearance, safety and security of all facilities. The position reports to the Operations Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing maintenance and upkeep of school building on a daily basis
- Performing preventive and routine maintenance and repairs on building and systems; including but not limited to HVAC, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, painting ,general building repairs, life safety and associated systems
- Completing assigned work and maintenance requests in a timely and professional manner
- Executing emergency procedures on building systems and sub-systems
- Performing trash and snow removal as needed
- Climbing ladders to replace lamps and to work on equipment
- Performing operational checks to ensure equipment is operating within parameters and at maximum efficiencies
- Lifting equipment, tools, and building supplies
- Maintaining equipment logs, records, operational data and history
- Ordering equipment and supplies as needed for the maintenance of the school building
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Operations
- Must have a Class “A” Engineers license for Boilers or must be able to obtain the license with-in the 1st year of hire
- Must have Building Certification Type A, HVAC Certification and EPA Universal HVAC license
- Ability to climb ladders and lift 55lbs or more
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Maintain building exterior and curb appeal (i.e. snow removal, lawn care , trash removal)
- Excellent verbal, written and communication skills
- Must be effective working independently with little or no supervision
- Strong organizational skills and proficient in establishing priorities
- Ability to communicate and cooperatively work with a diverse group of people
- Must have Valid Driver’s License
- Must be able to pass background check
Education and Experience:
- High School and/or Trade Vocational School Graduate
- Required certification and/or experience in building related trades in one (1) or more areas: HVAC , Electric, Plumbing and/or Carpentry
- Minimum three (3) years commercial HVAC service, repair or maintenance experience with rooftop units preferred
- Five (5) years of related experience and/or training in a facilities maintenance position
- Experience working on complex equipment components, computer systems and blueprints
- Experience or interest in an urban high school setting
- Sitting, talking, hearing, and seeing; Driving, standing for long periods, walking, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, pushing, pulling, feeling, reaching, lifting heavy equipment, grasping, twisting above the waist, bending at waist, repetitive hand and arm motion, and fine finger manipulation in the use of a computer. Climb ladders, enter crawl spaces, exertion of force, manipulation of hand and/or foot controls.
Mastery's Benefits Package:
We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth. Some of our most popular benefits include our 403(b) retirement plan for PA employees (with a 5% match from Mastery), enrollment in the State of New Jersey Pension Plan for NJ employees, a robust Employee Assistance Program, mental health and counseling programs, an annual Professional Development Fund, and discounts and perks at a myriad of retailers, travel organizations, insurance providers, and so much more, as well as a Benefits VIP Helpdesk to help you navigate various benefits-related topics!
Mastery's Annual Calendar:
As you plan to make Mastery your new work home, please feel free to review our PA Academic Calendar for SY 22/23 and our NJ Academic Calendar for SY 22/23. We like to think our calendar is a benefit of working here too!
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
UPDATE AS OF January 2023 - Please review Mastery’s Health and Safety Plans here to learn about our approach to vaccination and testing as well as our response to COVID-19. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.