IMMEDIATE Bilingual Attendance Coordinator (Part-Time) - 2022/2032 School Year
Camden, NJ /
School Leadership and Support – Culture /
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,500 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our buildings can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
This role is eligible for a $500 signing bonus!
The Attendance Coordinator ensures that all students are maintaining strong and consistent attendance and punctuality. This is a part-time position working less than 30 hours per week.
They will also work on the Culture Team to collaborate with the culture leadership team to ensure high expectations for student behavior. They will work to execute a plan for student entry to school, lunch period, assemblies, dismissal, and classroom transitions. The Attendance Coordinator/Culture Assistant reports directly to the Assistant Principal of School Culture and works in conjunction with the culture team to ensure the academic and social-emotional success of each student at his/her Mastery Charter Campus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensuring that school goals related to attendance, truancy and lateness are met or exceeded;
- Maintaining all data systems related to attendance, truancy and lateness;
- Maintaining daily parent communication in response to absences and lateness;
- Implementing a “whatever it takes” approach to preventing and addressing truancy including but not limited to: Parent outreach efforts including phone calls, letters and home visits;
- Collaborating with other Mastery staff to develop successful action plans.
- Under the guidance of the Assistant Principal for School Culture, ensuring a high achievement culture
- Maintaining databases and up to date student information on attendance, discipline and merit records
- Executing decisions based on reasonable judgment that strives to provide fair and equitable treatment and consideration for all students
- Maintaining and monitoring safety and order by being accessible and visible in hallways, classrooms, during arrival/dismissal of students, lunch periods, after school programs including detention, homework club, etc.
- Supporting discipline for up to 800 students with a restorative justice model
- Act as first line of communication to parents who have questions or appeals regarding discipline issues
- Monitor and recognize student achievement
- Work closely with Deans to ensure consistency in discipline across the school; meet weekly with culture leadership team to discuss school wide issues, trends, and upcoming events
- Problem solve with the school social worker to address school wide behaviors with a focus on being more proactive than reactive; provide written feedback about individual students as needed
- Keep a constant stream of information flowing to teachers about their advisees and any action taken with students
- Willingness and interest in working with a diverse population including visiting homes and working with families
- Results-oriented individual
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented and highly organized
- Basic computer skills including MS Office
- General computer competency
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with urban youth
Education and Experience:
- Bilingual- English/Spanish required
- High School Diploma required; Associates or Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Experience working in an urban education setting
- At least two (2) years of office/clerical experience
- Ability to physically perform the duties required and to work in the environmental conditions required such as driving/traveling to homes of families; must be able to sit for up to two (2) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard and mouse and typing. Must be able to use a phone.
Mastery's Benefits Package:
We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth. Some of our most popular benefits include our 403(b) retirement plan for PA employees (with a 5% match from Mastery), enrollment in the State of New Jersey Pension Plan for NJ employees, a robust Employee Assistance Program, mental health and counseling programs, an annual Professional Development Fund, and discounts and perks at a myriad of retailers, travel organizations, insurance providers, and so much more, as well as a Benefits VIP Helpdesk to help you navigate various benefits-related topics!
Mastery's Annual Calendar:
As you plan to make Mastery your new work home, please feel free to review our PA Academic Calendar for SY 22/23 and our NJ Academic Calendar for SY 22/23. We like to think our calendar is a benefit of working here too!
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
UPDATE AS OF January 2023 - Please review Mastery’s Health and Safety Plans here to learn about our approach to vaccination and testing as well as our response to COVID-19. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.