Assistant Principal of Specialized Services - 2023-2024 School Year
Philadelphia, PA /
School Leadership and Support – Specialized Services /
Full-Time 2023-24 School Year
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,500 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our buildings can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
This role is eligible for up to $10,000 in bonuses! Positions available in both Philadelphia and Camden!
New-to-Mastery Assistant Principals can expect a starting annual salary of between $97,500-$123,000 based on years’ experience and level of education.
The Assistant Principal of Specialized Services is directly responsible for improving the academic and behavioral performance of students with specialized services. The Assistant Principal manages and coordinates all specialized services including special education, 504 plans, Academic and Social Emotional Interventions, and English Language Development. The overarching goal is to ensure that each student has the appropriate individualized support plan to ensure their academic and social emotional success.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the Specialized Services programming at a school including all Special Education Services, 504 plans, Academic and Social Emotional Interventions, and English Learner services.
- Implement, supervise and facilitate the Mastery intervention programs and curricula.
- Supervise and coordinate the Individual Education Plan (IEP) and 504 processes.
- Supervise and coordinate evaluations and related services for students.
- Coordinate and monitor the School Social Work services and Mental Health services of partner organizations.
- Chair and conduct manifestation determination meetings and other special education meetings.
- Ensure the implementation of accommodations in the general education environment.
- Ensure that student files are in full compliance with all special education laws.
- Provide leadership on the school’s Administrative Team.
- Conduct informal and formal evaluations for special education teachers and other school staff members.
- Support principal and other assistant principals in leading the school and creating a culture of student achievement.
- Knowledge of Federal and State Special Education Laws.
- Knowledge of teaching methods, curriculum, and education programs designed for students with learning, physical and behavioral disabilities.
- Knowledge of Positive Behavior Supports related to individuals with learning, developmental, and/or emotional disabilities
- Knowledge of English Language Development, teaching practices and programming.
- Knowledge of Academic and Social Emotional Interventions.
- Strong communication skills and ability to develop trusting relationships with students, staff, and families.
- A strong sense of personal agency and accountability for student achievement
- A belief that all students should be held to high academic standards
- Demonstrated professionalism and responsibility, and a strong work ethic
- A positive, high-energy attitude and a drive for personal excellence
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Special Education required
- At least five (5) years of urban education experience required
- Must be PA state certified in special education and administration
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as maneuvering in classrooms and office space-reaching file cabinets, filing, faxing, scanning, coping, typing, mailing, and making phone calls; Must be able to sit for up to two (2) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard and mouse and typing.
Mastery's Benefits Package:
We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth. Some of our most popular benefits include our 403(b) retirement plan for PA employees (with a 5% match from Mastery), enrollment in the State of New Jersey Pension Plan for NJ employees, a robust Employee Assistance Program, mental health and counseling programs, an annual Professional Development Fund, and discounts and perks at a myriad of retailers, travel organizations, insurance providers, and so much more, as well as a Benefits VIP Helpdesk to help you navigate various benefits-related topics!
Mastery's Annual Calendar:
As you plan to make Mastery your new work home, please feel free to review our PA Academic Calendar for SY 22/23 and our NJ Academic Calendar for SY 22/23. We like to think our calendar is a benefit of working here too!
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
UPDATE AS OF January 2023 - Please review Mastery’s Health and Safety Plans here to learn about our approach to vaccination and testing as well as our response to COVID-19. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.