(NJ) High School Math Teacher - 9th-12th Grade - 2020/2021 School Year
Camden, NJ /
High School – STEM /
Full-Time 2020-21 School Year
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,000 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our building can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
This role is eligible for up to $4,000 in bonuses as well as up to $2,000 for relocation expenses!
We live in a world where math unlocks a future of possibilities. As a Math Teacher at Mastery you will work relentlessly to foster a love of math with your students while growing and developing in your craft. From the moment they enter our buildings, young mathematicians at Mastery engage with the cutting edge, open-source Eureka Math Curriculum to develop the skills and understanding necessary to have strong mathematical fluency.
Our Kindergarteners through 8th Graders learn with Eureka so that, from 9th through 12th Grade, they are prepared for the rigors of higher math. From 9th through 12th Grade Mastery’s students study Algebra, Geometry, and Calculus (including options for Pre-Algebra, Pre-Calculus, Business Math, and AP Calculus) with the Agile Minds and CPM curricula.
Teaching math at Mastery you will set high expectations and provide high support so that all of your students are able to succeed. You will work alongside our Specialized Services and School Culture teams to ensure your students receive the help they need to thrive.
At Mastery we value Continuous Improvement and want you to learn and grow in your craft. We utilize a team of Assistant Principals, central-office coaches, and school-based content teams to provide every teacher coaching and feedback. We have professional development or peer collaboration time built into our calendar every Wednesday (when students are dismissed early). You will receive more than 250 hours of professional development annually and have a professional development allowance to use to further your growth.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive student achievement and set high expectations for all students
- Commit to professional growth, self-reflection, a receptiveness to feedback, and a desire to continuously improve
- Implement rigorous and appropriate lesson plans, assignments, and assessments in cooperation with Mastery school-based leadership and curricular resources developed by Mastery’s central office Academic Team
- Work closely with school leaders to analyze student assessment data to measure progress and use data to inform instruction
- Collaborate in grade level teams to discuss student work, share best practices, plan events for joy and humor, and ensure student mastery of standards
- Engage families in their children’s education by building relationships and maintaining regular communication
- Demonstrate genuine interest, belief, and care for students’ personal and academic success
- Respond positively and effectively to challenges with a solutions-oriented resiliency
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required with a record of personal, professional, and/or academic achievement
- Teacher certification - completed or in process
- Demonstrated expertise in subject area
- Outstanding instructional skills driven by data and delivered through rigorous and engaging strategies