Director of ELL & Bilingual Programming
Philadelphia, PA /
Network Support – Specialized Services /
Full-Time 2020-21 School Year
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,000 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our building can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
The Director of ELL & Bilingual Programming ensures that all English Language Learners, across all schools, produce breakthrough academic results. The Director is responsible for the development and successful implementation of all ELL and Bilingual Programming services in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The position includes research, program design & development, the creation of school-based systems, and creating and presenting professional development sessions. This position manages Assistant Directors of Specialized Services (ADSS) in implementing and coordinating ELL programming at every campus. The Director plays a lead role in ensuring an effective connection exists between Specialized Services and Academic teams and their implementation at schools. The Director also leads the work to ensure there is an actionable and efficient data and information stream between schools, the Specialized Services team and related Network Support teams (NST). The Director of ELL & Bilingual Programming reports directly to the Deputy Chief of Specialized Services at Mastery Charter Schools’ Network Support Team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research New Jersey & Pennsylvania specific requirements for ESL for English Language Learners, including ELL students with special needs
- Further develop and refine a bi-lingual education program, including curricular resources and exemplars
- Manage ADSSs to lead NST to school communication and develop efficient systems that provide schools with support, ELL related information, data and proven strategies – all in support of ELL student outcomes and the inclusion of ELL students and their families in school services, systems, policy, and overall school community
- Lead school to NST communication, developing efficient systems to collect feedback on network supports and strategy
- Manage the collection, analysis and presentation of ELL data from multiple Mastery campuses
- Refine and revise the current ESL Program Manual for Mastery Charter Schools in NJ that includes, but is not limited to: Federal, State, & Local regulations, WIDS & State Assessment information, Identification & Filing Procedures for ELLs, ESL Placement model, etc.
- Refine and revise the current ESL Program Manual for Mastery Charter Schools in PA to ensure accordance with Federal, State, and & Local regulations
- Develop and support implementation of a progress monitoring/data review process for ELL students
- Create ESL teacher & bi-lingual teacher evaluation systems that align with Mastery Charter Schools’ teacher evaluation system and that reflect the unique requirements for serving the ELL population
- Develop a series of professional development sessions that support school-based administrators and ESL teachers
- Revise current exit criteria that develop relevant forms/systems to ensure that student records and documentation are accurate, timely and aligned to Federal and State regulations
- Ensure that all Mastery Charter Schools are in full compliance with Federal and State ESL regulations in both PA and NJ
- Establish relationships with relevant community agencies that support acculturation for students & families and develop protocols for schools to share this information
- Manage a variety of projects at the network and potentially school level
- Other duties as may be required to ensure network supports are effective and our schools and students are successful
- Belief in the Mastery Charter School mission and instructional model
- A desire to provide our students with a world class education
- Expert knowledge of WIDA English Language Proficiencies and Federal ESL regulations
- Strong knowledge of PA & NJ ESL regulations
- Strong knowledge of bi-lingual & ESL instructional programming
- Knowledge of ESL curricular programs
- Excels in research and program development
- Detail-oriented and highly organized with strong analytical writing and communication skills (e.g., writing compliance manuals, communicating Federal and State policy to stakeholders)
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and ability to design resources and trainings that clearly convey technical information to school-based teams
- Bachelor of Education degree with ESL certification; Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years experience in ESL and/or bi-lingual teaching
- Strong program development background that reflects ability to develop a program from inception to implementation
- Experience working with school leaders and implementing professional development sessions is a plus, but not required
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
UPDATE AS OF MARCH 2021 - Please review Mastery’s Back to School Plans here to learn about our response to COVID-19 for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.