Deputy Chief Operating Officer
Philadelphia, PA /
Network Support – Operations /
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,500 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our buildings can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
The Deputy Chief Operating Officer is responsible for building operational systems and providing exceptional leadership that enables our central and school-based leaders to effectively support the mission. The DCOO reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and is a member of Mastery’s Network Support executive team. The DCOO manages a team of Network Directors of Operations (NDOs) and supports school-based Assistant Principals of Operations (APOs) across all schools. In addition, the DCOO works with other Mastery central office departments such as School Management, Finance, Compliance, Academics, and Facilities to design and implement operational systems and tools.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Operational Program Design and Implementation: In partnership with the Chief Operating Officer and Network Directors of Operations, the DCOO enhances and delivers the school operations strategy for all Mastery sites.
- Review the current operational performance of schools and developing an operations strategic plan to build on successes and address any deficiencies
- Develop plans to include the revision of performance measurement in areas such as finance, facilities, enrollment and compliance
- Continuously develop and improve on definitions of roles and responsibilities for operations staff at all levels. Ensure playbooks and tools are aligned to the most critical work and support an environment that sets a clear, high bar for how operatsupportt supports the mission.
- Revise and improve operational success metrics to track performance against goals and periodic protocols for reviewing progress.
- Coordinate and partner with cross-functional central office teams in finance, compliance, talent, and technology to align strategy and support execution at the school level
- Ensure enrollment continues to be the top priority for all operations leaders at the center and at schools. Actively coordinates the NDOs and Director of Enrollment to ensure common vision, clear roles and responsibilities, and dynamic working relationships to achieve our ambitious student enrollment targets
- School Operations Support and Coaching: Ensure that school operations leaders are receiving effective support and coaching on their individual and school operational performance via direct feedback, whole group, and individualized professional development, and the creation and adoption of best-in-class tools for school use.
- Develop NDOs coaching and dotted line management skills to have an even greater impact on APOs. This includes developing coaching plans that target soft skills and adaptive leadership competencies of APOs
- Establish a formal coaching program for NDOs and APOs that will accelerate the growth of operations staff at schools
- Evaluate the performance of NDOs on job performance
- Support principals in evaluating the performance of APOs on job performance and customer service
- Identify school operations teams requiring additional support
- Establish formal intervention plans and provide intensive coaching and hands-on support for targeted APOs
- Oversee the revision and maintenance school operations handbooks & documentation structure
- Oversee development of APO, building engineer, and administrative assistant training scope and sequences
- Lead hiring of new APOs at school sites
- Oversee onboarding for new APOs
- Centralized Services Management: Develop our overall vendor management strategy and ensure that Mastery uses cost-effective strategies in making large procurement decisions.
- Oversee delivery of high-quality central services to school operations teams including centralized purchasing (books, furniture, supplies), food service consortium, performance metric gathering, RFP coordination, and vendor/contract management
- Oversee successful development of the Food Service team to ensure quality food service program, vendor management, and data support services for schools
- Facilities Infrastructure: In support of the central office facilities team, the DCOO serves as a thought partner on decisions related to school classroom design and school start up.
- Work with the facilities team to ensure that major facilities projects (new school or significant renovation) are effectively managed
- Design and implement model classrooms in all new schools
- Work with school leadership to support their planning of the layout and space usage for each facility
- Strategic & Analytical
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Focused on execution and quality
- Exceptional Project Management
- High expectations
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-Aware, Adaptable, and Resilient
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred
- Minimum of five (5) years of senior management experience
- Experience in an educational setting is strongly preferred, but not required
- Experience directly managing high-skilled teams and driving organizational change
- Ability to physically perform the essential duties of the role – either on-site or remotely – as required, and to work in the environmental conditions required, such as: traveling to network campuses; maneuvering in office spaces (including standing, walking, sitting for long periods of time, speaking loudly and clearly, seeing and hearing things both near and far away); stooping, kneeling, reaching file cabinets/shelves; fine finger and hand manipulation in use of a computer, chalkboard, dry erase, &/or projectors; filing, faxing, scanning, coping, typing, mailing, and making phone calls; sitting for up to two (2) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard/mouse, and typing.
- Position requires local &/or regional travel to Mastery and other sites. Must have a valid driver’s license and vehicle, or access to reliable transportation.
Mastery's Benefits Package:
We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth. Some of our most popular benefits include our 403(b) retirement plan for PA employees (with a 5% match from Mastery), enrollment in the State of New Jersey Pension Plan for NJ employees, a robust Employee Assistance Program, mental health and counseling programs, an annual Professional Development Fund, and discounts and perks at a myriad of retailers, travel organizations, insurance providers, and so much more, as well as a Benefits VIP Helpdesk to help you navigate various benefits-related topics!
Mastery's Annual Calendar:
As you plan to make Mastery your new work home, please feel free to review our PA Academic Calendar for SY 22/23 and our NJ Academic Calendar for SY 22/23. We like to think our calendar is a benefit of working here too!
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
UPDATE AS OF January 2023 - Please review Mastery’s Health and Safety Plans here to learn about our approach to vaccination and testing as well as our response to COVID-19. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.