Assistant Principal of Operations - 2021/2022 School Year
Philadelphia, PA /
School Leadership and Support – Operations /
Full-Time 2021-22 School Year
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,000 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our building can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
This role is eligible for up to $8,000 in bonuses!
The Assistant Principal of Operations is responsible for overseeing the operational systems and infrastructure of the school. The Assistant Principal of Operations works with the school Principal and the school leadership team to ensure that the school is run in an orderly and effective manner. The Assistant Principal also works closely with the Mastery central office team to design and implement effective operational systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the planning and execution of student recruitment related activities, such as open houses, feeder school visits (if applicable), enrollment lotteries, and paperwork session to maintain a fully-enrolled school community
- Ensure that all appropriate paperwork is gathered during the enrollment process
- Work to support student retention through family meetings, withdraw documentation, exit interviews, and other events
- Assist school leadership with the maintenance of accurate school schedules, student records, and transcripts in accordance with school, local, state and federal requirements
- Oversee the administration of substitute teacher deployment
- Manage testing coordination for all major school-based assessments
- Ensure the timely production of student Report Cards
- Ensure the timely implementation of all items on the school’s annual calendar
- Ensure that the campus is equipped for start-up/new school year by ordering furniture, equipment, and classroom supplies
- Ensure the maintenance of campus facilities by managing custodial personnel and third-party contracts for trash removal, recycling, and security
- Manage the school’s supply and asset inventory
- Manage the school’s food and transportation services by coordinating with service providers
- Work with the school Principal and Mastery’s central finance team to develop and manage the school’s budget
- Oversee deposit of school-based funds, including the management of petty cash
- Maintain accurate records of all financial transactions and submit them to the Mastery’s central finance team for processing
- Participate in monthly meetings to review/account for budget variances
- Receive and confirm data on bi-weekly payroll sheets from Mastery’s central finance team
- Ensure adherence to school’s fiscal policy and procedures; participate in annual financial audit process by providing documentation as needed to auditors
- Manage school purchasing process by placing orders with vendors, tracking delivery and maintaining inventory
- Manage all front desk personnel and on-site operational staff (e.g., building engineers)
- Oversee all customer service matters at the school including general requests for information, proper telephone procedures, mail distribution and transportation parking requests
- Supervise the maintenance, repairs, and emergency management of the facility by the building engineer
- Drive positive family and community relations for the school through quality communications and interactions when entering the school building
- Maintain an accurate student information system with the assistance of the central office team
- With the support of Mastery’s central office, ensure compliance with all state, federal, and policies related to public school operations
- Manage the nursing service provider to ensure appropriate service and compliance with local, state, and federal laws, as well as effective submission of yearly reports
- Coordinate safety protocols and drills to match state and local regulations
- With the support of Mastery’s human resources staff, ensure compliance with all employment laws and policies, as well as support the collection and maintenance of proper human resources information for faculty and staff
- Strong leadership skills and a demonstrated capacity to manage people in a work setting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a diverse group of people
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
- Ability to train and supervise employees including organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments
- Ability to work with computers, various software programs and other technology
- Knowledge of management and operations systems and strategies to run an effective organization
- Knowledge of public education and charter schools highly desirable but not required
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree preferred; and/or management related experience of at least two (2) years or equivalent related work experience to complete the listed duties
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as maneuvering in classrooms and office space-reaching file cabinets, filing, faxing, scanning, coping, typing, mailing, and making phone calls; Must be able to sit for up to two (2) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard and mouse and typing.
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
UPDATE AS OF MARCH 2021 - Please review Mastery’s Back to School Plans here to learn about our response to COVID-19 for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.